Mixed parcels up

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
8 replies 1K views
SnowbirdSnowbird Forumite
123 Posts
I sold some items on ebay last week and I sent (signed for) two items to the wrong buyer.
buyer 1 got buyer 2's parcel and vice versa.
I now have to send postage labels to both so they can send them back and I can start again. But how do I do that?
Do I just go to the post office and get prepaid labels and send to the buyers? Or is it possible to do it via Ebay?
Feeling very silly.

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask the buyers if they mind you give their address to each other?

They may be OK with that or maybe nor but worth asking. One one set of charges then. Not a return charge and then another postage charge.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• One of the first things I did in my earlier ebay days was send two buyers the other one's item.

In my case I was incredibly lucky and they both returned them to me out of there own pocket.

In hindsight I probably should have tried forgotmyname's solution and asked if they were willing to post the item to each other, would have saved me some postage costs.
  • SnowbirdSnowbird Forumite
    123 Posts
    I think they would agree to post them to each other. They both seem loveley.
    But how do i get post age labels to them?
    Do you just go into the post office?
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    68.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful about suggesting they each post to the other there was a big discussion about this on another forum recently about the new data protection rules.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • kangoorakangoora Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Snowbird wrote: »
    I think they would agree to post them to each other. They both seem loveley.
    But how do i get post age labels to them?
    Do you just go into the post office?

What you could do (and I have done in the past) is give them each a Paypal refund to the cost of the postage and let them know about it then supply each others address for them.

Of course, you're taking a risk they won't do it but on the one occasion I did this both seemed very reasonable and they came through.

One even gave me positive feedback amazingly enough!
    68.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    kangoora wrote: »
    What you could do (and I have done in the past) is give them each a Paypal refund to the cost of the postage and let them know about it then supply each others address for them.

Of course, you're taking a risk they won't do it but on the one occasion I did this both seemed very reasonable and they came through.

One even gave me positive feedback amazingly enough!

As above, I am not sure that I would supply someone else's address anymore due to the new data rules. Some buyers are taking this very badly, based on a recent discussion I saw elsewhere, and are causing sellers a fair bit of grief.

By all means ask both parties if they consent to their information being shared, but don't do it without that permission.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • SnowbirdSnowbird Forumite
    123 Posts
    does anyone know how to get postage labels to them? Either with my address on or each other's if they consent?
    Can I buy them through paypal or do I go to the post office?
    68.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Snowbird wrote: »
    does anyone know how to get postage labels to them? Either with my address on or each other's if they consent?
    Can I buy them through paypal or do I go to the post office?

You can buy a label through Royal mail Click and drop , download it as a PDF and email it to buyer. This does rely on certain things though, firstly that buyer has a suitable printer and can actually download open and print the label (many people just use mobile devices now with no printers). It also requires fast action on behalf of the buyer as the RM label will expire at the end of the next working day so will need to be definitely posted before then. If it's a large letter then buyer can pop it in the postbox, if it is a parcel though they will have to use a post office.

If buyer does this though then you have no proof at all whether item was posted, received by new recipient or just kept.
    New to Forum? Guide
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals