Forum Home» Loans

Claiming a loan as a gift - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Claiming a loan as a gift

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Loans
23 replies 2.2K views
13»

Replies

• Yet another lesson that loans and family never mix.

Even if its your own son, daughter, mother, father if you are going to offer a loan get it recorded in writing stating exactly on what terms it is on, how it is to be repaid and what happens to any appreciating asset etc.

Trust no-one where money is concerned, it can and does corrupt the closest family relationships time and time again!
  • shortcrustshortcrust Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that her offer could presumably be withdrawn at any point until things are formalised. If I were her and I got wind that the family were looking at ways to have me walk away with nothing I’d stop playing ball immediately.

Surely there have been enough replies now from unbiased folk for you to realise that her offer is reasonable.
  • Man_From_BathMan_From_Bath Forumite
    43 posts
    10 Posts
    ive read this and believe it to be a wind up.

You really think your brother in law should be paid for working on his own house ?

I've been married 20 years, always been the highest earner perhaps if i split up i should get more ?

She's recognised the loan and willing to pay back 50%,

also you should seek counselling, break ups happen all the time.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support