KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

edited 22 January 2019 at 10:32AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.4K replies 522.9K views

Replies

• SiebrieSiebrie Forumite
    2K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I did my back in last Saturday while putting in the new flowerbed, and now cannot really bend or turn. It's amazing how many items are left on the floor in our house! I feel a new round of kondoing coming up, so that husband and daughters can put their stuff away more easily! I know I should not do their stuff, but it seems they cannot make any choices, and have so much stuff, that I doubt they will notice.
    Wombabeluba 2020! € 124,28 = £ 61.09
    2019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31 = £ 2,969.05
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I can't move back into my kitchen right now (The Saga Of The Kitchen Sealant) I'm doing peripheral tidying where the rubble fell into the living room. Part of which is sturdy little cardboard boxes of ornaments. Mostly cats, since I love cats so much, as I've mentioned :D There haven't been very many I don't still like, actually, and most of them have been the type that represents cat fur with a roughened ceramic surface. It just doesn't speak to me. They can probably go to a charity shop (including a reproduction of the Venus of Willendorf, not that it isn't lovely, but I don't need or want one in my house!).

My problem is the other stuff :( a small wooden doll from my childhood, they were collectible, and I distinctly remember destroying the clothes, destroying the hair and then rebuilding it like a cavewoman. It just spells out to me now how awful that part of my childhood was :( but consigning it onwards is difficult. I think it has to be burnt, on its own. I think that'll do it.

The other is a set of solid silver giraffes ... they were a sort of "guilt purchase" from my Zimbabwean relatives, I'd never have bought them off my own bat. No contact now, nor likely to have. I'm keeping the tiny little frog, which *does* have meaning for me.

There's also a dragon-egg-hatching ornament, quite heavy, which I really liked when I bought it. It got packed away for my house move (9 years ago now!) and when I look at it right now, my eyes sort of slide off it, like I can't even be bothered to look at it! V odd.

I think I'm going to take pictures of this lot, and just take them to the charity shop. The giraffes, I'll sell, with the jointly owned silver from the same source that we're committed to sell.

Sorry for the essay, I just really needed to think about it in public, so to speak.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Burning it seems a very good idea. I did it once with a birthday card from an ex boyfriend and it was very cleansing. Do you have any other items from that period that you would want to burn, too?
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a good question! I don't think so, I have 2 soft toys and a pyjama case from that time, and I like those :) Now I've raised it, though, I'll keep an eye out :)

Just realised your back's bad, Siebrie - hope you're taking care of yourself, it's very tough to cope with a bad back.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you; it's already getting better and I hope to be back to normal by Saturday. I really feel for people who deal with this every day; my household has come to a stop, anything below kneelevel is just left where it is. No ironing, as I can't lift the ironing board :)
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch, hope you soon feel better Siebrie. No Kondoing here for a while, but I've spent a happy hour or two today 'bottoming out' my kitchen cupboards. Yesterday I did the baking tins, now I love baking and these all spark joy, but I could almost make a cake every week of the year in a different tin! One or two have been deemed surplus to requirements.

Today I moved onto the ingredients cupboard. To my shame, there are some things that are well out of date. I have two pots of Cream of Tartar, something I use infrequently. One was BBE 2008 :o so I decided that could hit the bin. I've moved a few other things to the front of the cupboard in the hope that they will get used up.

The only thing I'm really throwing out is a small slow cooker that I never use these days, but re-organising everything and chucking out the OOD stuff has freed up a surprising amount of space. This was all Kondoed a few years ago, but clearly stuff has crept back since then. I'm still dithering over the mandoline, it was due to go last year but then I acquired a dehydrator and I think it could be useful for doing very thin slices. I think I'm going to put labels with today's date on that, and a couple of other items that only just made the grade. If the next time I get them out more than six months has passed, they're going!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I practically only use my mandoline for grating carrots and slicing fennel bulbs. That still makes it worth it for me, because then I can feed three adults with one bulb, otherwise only two adults.
  • camelot1001camelot1001 Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope your back gets better soon Siebrie.

I've sorted the bathroom cabinet today, can't believe how many tablets have gone out of date. There was a packet of Rennies in there that were bought for a visitor, only 3 missing from a rather large pack, some cough linctus that was OOD in 2015, various other tablets and nasal sprays including some prescribed tablets that I have no idea what they were for! Anyway, they've all gone down the loo - cold and flu capsules float even though the toilet has been flushed half a dozen times!
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :) I'm mid-process of a major decluttering in the bedroom and have taken a couple of largish items to the charity shop this afternoon, which has freed up some space.

Both items were containers and one of them has its contents over the bed atm, I am picking out items for recycling, rehoming and repurposing. A much smaller container will be needed for the selected keepers. Winning!

Hope your back is on the mend, Siebrie.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hope your back gets better soon Siebrie.

I've sorted the bathroom cabinet today, can't believe how many tablets have gone out of date. There was a packet of Rennies in there that were bought for a visitor, only 3 missing from a rather large pack, some cough linctus that was OOD in 2015, various other tablets and nasal sprays including some prescribed tablets that I have no idea what they were for! Anyway, they've all gone down the loo - cold and flu capsules float even though the toilet has been flushed half a dozen times!

To save you flushing so many times: you can drop them off at your local chemist's :)

The library had a booksale and I scored some good children's literature for just €0,50 each. The books are now in the attic, ready to bring down once summer break starts/we go on vacation/boredom hits.