edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
18 replies 838 views
Annie1960Annie1960 Forumite
2.8K posts
Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
Hello

I have a petrol Astra that I bought when it was 3 years old with 30,000 on the clock.

It's been a great car, but it's time to trade it in for something newer. I'm thinking of another car around 3 years old.

My last car was also an Astra, and I'm thinking of getting an Astra for my next car. However, I have a little time to think about it, and would like alternative suggestions.

I would like something about the same size as an Astra. I usually get a 1.6 litre engine, but I've noticed many of the ones currently for sale have 1.4l engines. Are the current 1.4l similar to the older 1.6l?

I would also consider other brands, but am not up-to-date with these. I'm looking for something that's reasonable to insure, easy to get spare parts for, and nothing too fancy.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• DUTRDUTR Forumite
    12.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merc A35, thread closed, keep it 6 years instead of 3.
  • Annie1960Annie1960 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    DUTR wrote: »
    Merc A35, thread closed, keep it 6 years instead of 3.

Just done a search. The only negative is that it's twice the price, so not for me!
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    5.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    As this is MSE....

Keep your current car til it is no longer viable.
  • jimbo6977jimbo6977 Forumite
    638 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Fiat Tipo: one-size-up* motoring for those who are are not bothered about the fine details of rear suspension.

Peugeot 3008: probably the best balance of quality, looks, practicality and price in the segment.

Citroen C3 Aircross: if you value ride comfort.

Vauxhall GrandlandX: it's a Peugeot 3008 with all the style removed and a Vauxhall badge added.

* C-segment car for a B-segment price.
  • Car_54Car_54 Forumite
    5.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    jimbo6977 wrote: »
    Fiat Tipo: one-size-up* motoring for those who are are not bothered about the fine details of rear suspension.

Peugeot 3008: probably the best balance of quality, looks, practicality and price in the segment.

Citroen C3 Aircross: if you value ride comfort.

Vauxhall GrandlandX: it's a Peugeot 3008 with all the style removed and a Vauxhall badge added.

* C-segment car for a B-segment price.

3-year-old French and Italian cars are probably fighting for bottom place in the reliability league.
  • jimbo6977jimbo6977 Forumite
    638 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    3 year-old French and Italian cars are probably fighting for bottom place in the reliability league

3008 came 5th in 2018 reliability survey
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm definitely interested in reliability.
  • daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    I'm definitely interested in reliability.

No need to look any further than a Toyota.

I saw a vid yesterday of a US 200,000 mile Prius. The engine was bone dry, no drips or evidence of leaks anywhere on the engine. The batteries still worked as they should, suspension hadn't been touched, climate control worked, no play in any of the key components, original exhaust.

The mechanic reviewing it can't understand how Toyota do it and keep doing it decade after decade, no other manufacturer comes close.
  • Clive_WoodyClive_Woody Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skoda Octavia 1.4l petrol - there are a host of different spec models to choose from depending on budget. Well equipped car that is spacious, reliable and cheap to service.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skoda Octavia 1.4l petrol - there are a host of different spec models to choose from depending on budget. Well equipped car that is spacious, reliable and cheap to service.

It's interesting that many cars now seem to be 1.4l, whereas in the past it seems to me that 1.6l was more common.

Am I imagining this?