New Post Advanced Search

Raspberry canes

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
6 replies 1.2K views
green-backergreen-backer Forumite
18 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Hi all,

I planted some raspberry canes in Feb. They don't seem to have grown very tall. Have I missed a step? They are autumn canes and I dug in some well rotted manure prior to planting with plenty of watering since.

https://postimg.cc/SJHSV1tf

Replies

• Linda32Linda32 Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    At our allotment one of the plot holders grows autumn fruiting and they are about that size. I grew raspberries a few years ago, but can't remember if they took more than a year to fruit. They do look healthy enough. If they are going to fruit this year it won't be until Autumn anyway.
  • CamomileCamomile Forumite
    88 posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Raspberries grow in 2 year cycle. First year there’s a main stem with just leaves emerging, this ovewinters and in the spring side shoots bearing fruit appear with main stem becoming woody. After fruiting stem dies in the winter but more shoots emerge from the root system. If you don’t get any fruit this year you’ll get them next year, just leave your canes be.
  • EmmyLou30EmmyLou30 Forumite
    552 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Camomile wrote: »
    Raspberries grow in 2 year cycle. First year there’s a main stem with just leaves emerging, this ovewinters and in the spring side shoots bearing fruit appear with main stem becoming woody. After fruiting stem dies in the winter but more shoots emerge from the root system. If you don’t get any fruit this year you’ll get them next year, just leave your canes be.

That's just summer fruiting. Autumn fruiting form brand new canes the year they fruit and you chop them all back each year. My fairly well established autumn variety Polka are about 2-3 foot high right now but have plenty of growing time left before they fruit later in the year. They are a self supporting bush type like most autumn fruiters so don't get to the height a summer fruiting one does anyway.
  • CamomileCamomile Forumite
    88 posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Oh dear, just found out autumn ones are completely different kind! Excuse my ignorance, thought they were the same ��
  • EmmyLou30EmmyLou30 Forumite
    552 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Gardening is always learning as we go :-) I think the autumn ones are easier from the point of view of not tying in new canes and trying to work out which ones to chop off etc, but it's nice to have the summer ones too.
  • PablosmummyPablosmummy Forumite
    378 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I planted my polka in march and they're about up to my waist now. Have they grown any new canes? Or is it just growing from the stumps of the old canes? Mine seem to be a mixture of both as I have growth coming from.the old stumpy.canes which is fruiting now, and the brand new canes which will.hopefully fruit later on this year.
    Yours arnt a dwarf type are they? They look alot like my dwarf patio raspberry...
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400