New Post Advanced Search

O/S Daily Thursday 20th June 2019

edited 20 June 2019 at 6:18AM in Old Style MoneySaving
19 replies 2.1K views
2»

Replies

• GintotmelindaGintotmelinda Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Still in bed with a coffee. DH is pottering downstairs. He is taking the car to the main dealer for a service at 12.00. It is overdue as he couldn't drive for 3 months. I am going to knit n natter this morning and friends will drop me home.

TA lovely bargains and glad to hear the garden work is finished. You should he able to fill some pots there is still stuff about.

AOD I can't grow lettuce for toffee.

Holly H glad you enjoed an outing yesterday
    HH safe moving to new moorings.

Well I'd better get up. Hugs and spoons to all and have a good day.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • RosyRedRosyRed Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all,
    Just having a quick catch up with a coffee before I start restoring the kitchen after DGC being here and dropping DGS at school. It was lovely when we set off and started raining just as we were ready to get out of the car.Luckily there were 3 brollies in the car, a big mans one DS used and 2 yellow and orange Minions ones :D,but I'm not proud if it keeps me dry and provided DGS much hilarity.Have to confess to getting a few smiling glances on the way in :rotfl:I had also put on some new crop trousers which DS says make me look like a nurse in scrubs ;) - not quite the effect I had in mind!
    TA the garden makeover sounds great

AOD my Panny is on every day!

DGS has discovered the joys of hm bread,toasted with butter,but apparently it's better when Grandpa makes it- brown but not burnt and the butter melted so it's clear. This little boy is a very fussy eater so it's good news.He got a sticker at school too for eating all his dinner.Perhaps he's having a growth spurt.
    I may have a bus ride into town shortly,I'll look to see what the weather is doing,have good days all x
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • dumplingdumpling Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone :hello:

Well the promised sunshine has yet to arrive, it's very grey and murky out there but I am hopeful that it will cheer up later on. Bobby has just been picked up by the groomer so he will emerge in a little while all clipped and smelling gorgeous. I have just had a visit from the district nurse so I am all bandaged up like an Egyptian mummy....well at least my legs are.

Had some annoying news yesterday. The Housing Association will not make any changes to my house for me to have a wet room or adapted loo. This, although not unexpected, makes my life very difficult and I feel quite fed up. I am also cross that they made this decision months ago and nobody got in touch to tell me. It took my new mental health worker to ring them up to find out how the application was going. I don't know if there is anything I can do about it now. I will just have to keep having strip washes at the kitchen sink which is not ideal and I never really feel clean.

Lee is making dinner tonight and we are going to have a chicken and vegetable curry. I am having cauliflower rice with mine as I quite like it and it is so much better for me than rice. I have a nice pot of yoghurt for pudding too as Lee is making a cake for everyone else.

RosyRed, I also had my grandchildren here before school. They had had some breakfast at home but apparently ours are better so they had a brioche and something from the snack drawer. Love the sound of your brolly xx
    Holly, glad you managed to get out with your friend and it put a smile on your face. Hope it continues for you as it will be nice to have something to look forward too xx
    Hester, good luck with the truculent teen, I have a couple you can have if you want xx

I'm off to put the kettle on, hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • ancientofdaysancientofdays Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dumpling I wonder if OT department of your LA might be able to assist?

gintotmelinda I have had lettuces in the ground and they have done ok but I did have to do a terrible lot of slug patrol. I grow the mixed 'cut and come agzin' salad leaves in big pots most years, you get a good variety of tastes and they tend to be very prolific.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • GersGers Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Afternoon - I didn't get out this morning as DM didn't want me to go! She's sitting up in the front room for the first time since Saturday so I think it's a confidence thing. Even the walk down the hall has tired her out.

I did go out later and headed for the park - just in time for torrential downpour so I chickened out. Should have waited as it only lasted 10 minutes or so, however by then I was collecting three A mazon parcels from the supermarket and then went for my new specs. I'm really pleased with them and the price. Two 'normal' pairs for £90 and then I added a tinted pair for driving in the sun.

Whilst I was in the SM a nice chap from the DWP rang me, he's agreed that DM is eligible for the higher rate of AA so it'll be awarded from 08 September. There seems to be a six month rule...

I'm now going to read for a little while.

Dumpling - surely there is an appeals procedure? That sounds like a tough decision for you. Can your GP help too? I hope so.
  • edited 20 June 2019 at 8:29PM
    nannywindownannywindow Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    edited 20 June 2019 at 8:29PM
    Hello all
    Thank you TA and Holly et al for missing me......and my waffle :D
    Sorry to have been MIA but by the time I have read / been ready to post, most of you would have been in bed :rotfl:.
    Life has been quite hectic around here with daily chores, GP appointments, the DGC and then to top things off, Dad had a fall while painting fence panels in the garage. He can't remember what he fell over, probably nothing or his feet, then he decided to shoulder charge the garage wall :eek:. Nothing was broken thank goodness, but he has cuts and spectacular rainbow coloured bruises galore. He seems to think he's still 60 ! Good job he has good neighbours who were able to pick him up and then call us.
    We are going away on Sat in the van for 2 weeks to sunny ( I hope ) Devon, but first Mr Fix it has an oncology appointment tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed it will go ahead this time as it should have been on Wed, but it was cancelled last minute due to staff illness and there was no replacement available :(. Neither of us are looking forward to it but there's nowt we can do about it. What will be, will be.
    I shall send hugs to all, especially dp1's DGD who I hope gets better asap, the poorly ones and their carers.
    Take care all
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • RosyRedRosyRed Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear your Dad has had a fall Nan. hope the bruises mend soon.Enjoy your holiday in Devon.
    Dumpling thats such a shame about your bathroom,I hope someone can help you further.
    I didn't go to town,got sidetracked making soup,so I followed Holly's example and had a walk instead,up to the park and had a hot choc from the cafe.I went to sit in the lovely peaceful walled garden, a delightful little girl about 2ish came and sat right next to me chatting 19 to the dozen,her Mum & Dad looked a bit embarrased- I was pleased I hadn't lost my touch with young children :)
    Gers hugs,you're doing a grand job.The glasses sound a real bargain.
    Have a lovely evening folks x
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • meanmariemeanmarie Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evening all,.

Pleasant day until about 4 , we have had a couple of heavy showers, hope they will die out.soon.

Yesterday's visit to orthopaedic consultant was quite satisfactory, he reckons that, while I will definitely need a hip replacement it needn't be yet, back in six months for further assessment..

My visit to the dentist today was,, in a way, just as satisfactory......my three remaining natural teeth need to be gone, which he will do on Tuesday morning, three new teeth to be added to my denture and I will be brand new! There is the matter of the infection in one tooth, which is the reason for delay in extractions, I am on antibiotics for a week as a precaution.

Best news this week is that the offer that DD3 and DSIL made on the house they wanted has been accepted, so now all that is between them and a family home is all the legal and financial bits. I have told them that neither Mossy or DGD7 will be making the move with them.....they have just ignored me!

Holly, glad that you managed to get out today, spending too much time home alone is not good for anyone.

Nan....hope that your dad will be ok.....it is very difficult to accept that one is no longer a youngster of 60 or so.

OL......what in heavens name were you doing to use all that bleach???

Gers.....congratulations on your bargain specs......my last 2 pairs cost me almost 600e!

TA.....hope that lunch was good, glad that your gardener has turned out well, I really need someone before the bràmbles and other nuisance greenery covers us all.

Hugs to all in need and those I have missed out, take care.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • snoozersnoozer Forumite
    2.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    OL, I'm sorry but I see no need to use that much bleach in the drains and if you must surely you could dilute it for the dog areas.