New Post Advanced Search

Preparing for Winter V

edited 11 October 2017 at 1:35PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.6K replies 707K views

Replies

• PookyPooky Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always Pavers Boots, (we have an outlet store fairly locally so I check for them in the sales) there's a range they do called "relief" which have the gel cushions in the pressure points. The comfiest boots ever (for me anyway) They always have a good range of styles in ankle, calf and knee length. I walk a lot too so finding something that lasts and is warm and comfy is a must.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • pattypan4pattypan4 Forumite
    520 posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I have all these lovely summer dresses I made last year, they are still rolled up in a drawer. I haven`t even worn a skirt yet, still in trousers. I am washing bedding today, whoops I will probably have to use my tumble dryer

So yesterday I virtually went past where I buy my winter fuel and could not help myself, filled the boot, included more kiln dried logs. Prices are only going to go up never down. So now I have at least 150 days worth of fuel for the multi fuel stove. Stashed in a neat row along the inside garage wall, covered now with a pretty throw and I would hardly know it was there. I have ordered a flue thermometer, to get the correct burning temperature, being a novice

Oh this weather is so frustrating and not good for our health and cheerfulness
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hotter shoes and boots are my choice, they are just so comfortable and seem to last for a very long time. Not cheap to buy but they often have a buy two get one free offer/or buy two and get one half price on shoes and boots so my daughter and I team up and buy a pair each and whichever of us needs the third pair gets it for half price or nothing. I like their shops, the staff are always helpful and we have size 8 and size 9 foot sizes respectively so it's not always easy to find well fitting and comfortable shoes in those sizes that are also nice styles but they can usually find us something or they will order in to the shop in your size or even get the shoes sent to your home if you need that to be the case.
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always try to buy clothes out of season, that's when you grab the bargains. One of Charity shops was selling winter coats. I bought 3, £7 the lot. One still had tags on.

It's probably a good time to buy winter boots, knitwear etc. And of course, fuel for burners is cheaper too in summer so if you have got the space then definitely start stocking up now.

I have noticed that some shops have been reducing this years summer clothing stock too, they obviously aren't selling much this weather.
    520 posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Argh the sun has come and gone and 2 tops on hangers have partly dried outside, now hanging on door frames because big heavy drops of rain are happening and due to last 4 hours. With that came the temperature drop and I have to change my top for a jumper because my arms and neck are too cool
    520 posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    :eek::eek::eek: it is absolutely torrential and the sky is black. There will be floods
  • Lucy5781Lucy5781 Forumite
    602 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    We're in the middle of having an extension done on the back of the house before a kitchen and bathroom refit. Have lost use of my tumble dryer (with two kids under three...) and drying indoors has been awful as it's not cold enough to have the heating on but the air is often still damp! We're also having a garden office built so no where in the garden to dry outside even on a day without rain! Not to mention having nowhere outside for the kids to play.

Extension will have under floor heating when done.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    520 posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I know, summer has just started and I am one month into octopus energy from BG, with an estimated direct debit. I am £40 surpus this month plus the initial month= £117 surplus. Tbh I am quite happy, knowing that I can go into winter not fretting about whether I turn the heating on or not. I have also fully stocked with logs etc, enough for the whole winter even assuming that it is a very bad winter. Nothing else to think about tbh, I feel sorted
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It might be worth checking charity shops at this time of year for heavy winter coats at vastly reduced prices, the shop I volunteer in is having a stock room sort out and putting out lovely heavy wool coats at silly prices to get rid of them as they've not been in demand for a few months. This is also the time of year to check out jumpers and cardigans etc. there too as we're also selling those off at silly prices. I'm always astonished at the nice quality of things that are donated, usually almost or actually new and still with tags on! be warm this winter, take advantage of the offers if you find them.
  • PookyPooky Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't remember the last time I brought a winter coat full price - do love a charity shop bargain.

We move in 4 days and have the plumber coming to quote for a new boiler and the chimney people coming to quote for a stove installation a few days later. Want that sorted ASAP. We still have some logs from our open fire all stacked in bags in the garage so they'll be coming with us to help ease the expense for the first month. Can not wait!!

Hoping that we can make this bungalow really cosy before winter sets in.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.