Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) - Page 168

New Post Advanced Search

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.9K replies 275.7K views

Replies

• marnsmarns Forumite
    30 posts
    Felt I had to complain this morning....Not even slightly embarrassed I only paid 70p for the two.

Dear Morrisons,

Well I'd like to complain about my purchase of raspberry turnovers yesterday....I had one for breakfast this morning, intending to fortify myself for 'the mowing of the lawn'. I'm sure you'll understand the need for calorific sustenance when attempting such heroic deeds.

Imagine my dismay when I bit into my invitingly sugar crusted pastry to find it contained NO CREAM! I checked its partner in the 2 pack box to find it similarly deficit in the dairy department.

I hope you will ensure procedures are in place to ensure appropriate dairy distribution in baked goods in future.

Yours kindly

Marnie James

P.S. Seriously NO CREAM IN MY CREAM CAKE!
  • takingcontrolatlasttakingcontrolatlast Forumite
    714 posts
    ✭✭
    joedenise wrote: »
    Takingcontrolatlast - the blueberries will be lovely cooked into muffins. Think they are my favourite muffins (not that I have them now as I do Slimming World so too many syns!).

Denise

Muffins it will be Denise - I promise I'll only have one in support of your weight loss :rotfl:

I shouldnt really have any :D
    Emergency Fund:£0/£500 -

Debts paid off
    Loan - £1400:j Overdraft - £1700:j Phone - £360:j Loan - £2109:j Provident - £1760:j MBNA - £8000:j
  • takingcontrolatlasttakingcontrolatlast Forumite
    714 posts
    ✭✭
    JackieO wrote: »
    Maybe the blueberries had too high a liquid content to freeze well,a bit like tomatoes. I am not mad keen on them ,although I know they are good for you ,always seem a bit flavourless to me, but each to their own .
    Did the SM shop today instead of tomorrow as I ws passing the shop so save me a journey tomorrow Got a nice bag of wild rocket and two bags of cornish new potatoes, all reduced significantly.No more food shopping for me this week as I am now fully stocked with fresh fruit and veg
    I have been digging around in the freezer and found some lost bits which will be utilised this week in the menus.I found a bag of frozen cauliflower that I forgot was in there and as I have some sweet potatoes in the veg box I am going to make later this week a sweet potato and cauliflower curry as I had it when I was away on my last holiday trip and it was really nice I have lots of spices in the cupboard and will also add some cannellini beans to it and perhaps some diced peppers as well.I love a colourful curry :) I have some frozen mushrooms I can throw in as well.A decent veggie curry will be on the cards I think and any I have left over will get portioned up for the freezer :)

Hope everyone is well and streetching out the stores OK :)

Cheers chums JackieO xx

I think you are right about the water content JackieO - anyways I'll make muffins and make room in the freezer.

Your veg curry sounds yummy - I've never made a veg curry before.... another one to try :T
    Emergency Fund:£0/£500 -

Debts paid off
    Loan - £1400:j Overdraft - £1700:j Phone - £360:j Loan - £2109:j Provident - £1760:j MBNA - £8000:j
  • joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a veg curry planned for next week so will be chucking in some frozen cauliflower with it. I usually only use cauliflower if I can get one cheap, eg when they are on Aldi Super 6. Usually they're too expensive to chuck in a curry. Never really thought about using frozen veg in it before.

Denise
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    joedenise wrote: »
    I've got a veg curry planned for next week so will be chucking in some frozen cauliflower with it. I usually only use cauliflower if I can get one cheap, eg when they are on Aldi Super 6. Usually they're too expensive to chuck in a curry. Never really thought about using frozen veg in it before.

Denise

snap :D so do I joedenise I agree when cauili's are cheap they are great to freeze and use in curries When I was away a few weeks ago I had a delicious sweet potato and cauli curry and it really was so nice and very filling and reasonable cost as well :)
    8.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm planning on using whatever veg is in the fridge as well as sweet potatoes & cauliflower so probably some mushrooms & peppers as well, depending on how many of them get used over the weekend as we're having a family BBQ tomorrow so will be using some for skewers along with some pieces of chicken thigh.

Denise
  • JILJIL Forumite
    7.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I make a Dahl base and add loads of veg to it.

It's really easy

Gently fry in oil or butter or marg a couple of chopped onions for about 5 minutes. Add a teaspoon of chilli, a teaspoon of turmeric, a teaspoon of cumin, a teaspoon of coriander and a teaspoon of ginger. Add garlic if you want to. Gently fry these off, add a couple of cups of red lentils and 4 cups of water. You can add a vege stock cube for flavour. Cook for abou 10 mins.Then add your veg, tinned chick peas, carrots, spinach, cauliflower. You can also add coconut milk. Or tinned tomatoes, even cashew nuts. Full of protein and cheap to make.
  • edited 22 June 2019 at 4:16AM
    JILJIL Forumite
    7.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 June 2019 at 4:16AM
    Here's a really nice vegetable biriani recipe. It freezes well and you can use any veg.
    250 g basmati rice

1 teaspoon of ground ginger
    2 cloves of garlic, mashed to a paste with a little salt or use granules
    2 green chillies, finely chopped (or use more chilli powder)
    1 tsp garam masala
    half tsp ground cumin
    half tsp turmeric
    half tsp chilli powder
    100g yoghurt
    1 tbsp lime or lemon juice
    400g veg such as cauliflower, sweet potato, peas, onion, carrots.green beans.
    prepared into chunks.

25g butter, melted
    2 tbsp milk, warmed
    half teaspoon of turmeric.

vegetable oil, to fry

Soak the rice for an hour and then boil it for 8 minutes.Then drain.
    Mix the spices into the yogurt and lemon juice. Then mix in the vegetables.
    Put a little oil into a frying pan and gently cook all the yogurt and spice coated veg for about 8 minutes, if they get too dry add a little water.
    Put the veg into the bottom of a casserole dish.
    Top with the rice.
    Mix the melted butter, milk and turmeric and flick this around the top of the rice.
    Put on a tight lid (you could use foil) and bake for about half an hour
    When it cooked you can add sultanas, crispy onions, almond/cashews.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Today I am using up the last bit of my tuna and sweetcorn in a salad I had some on Saturday and a little yesterday on rice cakes for lunch leaving enough left to finish up today.My Dd had bought me some chilli mayo so I mixed it in with the tin of tuna & sweetcorn and it gave it a really nice zip :)
    Slowly working my way through the freezer and starting to get a little wriggle room in there at last I found some nice cod fillets I had forgotten about so they will be used in a fish pie at some point this week, in fact I think this will be the wek of the fish as I also found some smoked peppered mackerel in there as well so that will be used in a salad as well.This week is supposed to be quite warm so lots of salads will be on the menu. I have a large green pepper I want to use up as well this week so it will be stuffed with mushrooms,cheese and topped with some stuffing mix and roasted in my remoska. Definitely very little shopping at all is on the cards this week :)

Hope everyone is Ok and using up what they can

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    8.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not use up lunches this week! We had a BBQ Saturday and as usual everyone ate the meat and not much of the salads!

I've got a large bowl of tuna & and sweetcorn pasta salad plus a large dressed salad - think we'll need to eat that today as the dressing will probably make the leaves limp and inedible by tomorrow!

I'm making vegetarian scotch eggs to have with the salad today using some Linda McCartney red onion & rosemary sausages. Won't be bread crumbing them just the egg & sausage "meat" and then baked in the oven.

Denise