2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

edited 14 February 2019 at 1:15PM in Old Style MoneySaving
990 replies 67K views

Replies

• Laura_ElsewhereLaura_Elsewhere Forumite
    745 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Starting to plan *properly* what I'm making myself over the next couple of years, so I can be realistic and get things finished...

And I find myself searching on eBay for suitable yarn for a jumper-idea in their 'used' category - bingo, a load of yarn someone bought and didn't use (it was discontinued years and years ago!), for under a tenner inc postage and no coupons because it's second-hand!

And it's coming into the flat for a designated project, so I'm not just adding vaguely to the huge stocks of wool I already have! I think I have to start considering selling some off, even at a discount (terrible habit of knitting up a few inches of sock and then changing my mind, so there's a lot not pristine!)....

But I'm pleased I'm not only thinking hard about buying clothes, but now I'm thinking hard about what clothes I make AND about what yarn I buy!
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 74.5 coupons left out of 74.5
    (66+8.5 from last year)

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • getmyacttogether2016getmyacttogether2016 Forumite
    243 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I’m with you Laura on the planning.

Wednesday will be spent going through my patterns and deciding what I want to make and then checking if I have the material to make it. Have stockpiled a smallish amount of fabric although I do know that a lot of it is jersey and some in colours I no longer want to wear. (that could be the knickers sorted).

Am also going to make a start on my granny square blanket but undecided if to do smaller squares or 1 large granny square.

Keep well everyone.
    GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board and hoping to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Grocery challenge £103.91/£200
    2020 Fashion on the Ration 47/66
    No buying unnecessary toiletries - UU 0/24
  • CapricornLassCapricornLass Forumite
    325 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    Hi, folks, I'm still here, reading along, even if I'm not saying very much!

Things are not going terribly well project wise - the ball of wool I was going to use on my 'use up the odd balls of wool' blanket turned out to be 4 ply and not dk as I thought, I've put down the thread for the apron I was making for my niece's Christmas - and can I find it anywhere - nope- so I can't finish it, and the gingham that I was trying to make a present bag from proved to be so stretchy that I've thrown it away in the bin :(

Anyway, I treated myself to a new pair of slippers at the end of last week. They're Danish, made from felted wool (I wear them with socks so they don't touch my skin) and they cost a bomb, but they at least stay on my feet, and come up to my ankles so they are warm. So I'm afraid that is another 5 points for me, bringing me up to 29 so far.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035
  • PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, folks, I'm still here, reading along, even if I'm not saying very much!

Things are not going terribly well project wise - the ball of wool I was going to use on my 'use up the odd balls of wool' blanket turned out to be 4 ply and not dk as I thought, I've put down the thread for the apron I was making for my niece's Christmas - and can I find it anywhere - nope- so I can't finish it, and the gingham that I was trying to make a present bag from proved to be so stretchy that I've thrown it away in the bin :(

Anyway, I treated myself to a new pair of slippers at the end of last week. They're Danish, made from felted wool (I wear them with socks so they don't touch my skin) and they cost a bomb, but they at least stay on my feet, and come up to my ankles so they are warm. So I'm afraid that is another 5 points for me, bringing me up to 29 so far.

The slippers sound lovely. Are you allergic to wool?

Re 4-ply vs DK, just use the 4-ply doubled to make it into DK. In Australia, DK is called “8-ply” for good reason. When commercial yarns first came on the market, they were all spun into a cobweb weight (1-ply) and then plied up, so “fingering weight” had four plies (it was also called “knitting weight”), “double knitting” had eight and chunky “12-ply” had twelve.

HTH.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' " o:)

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 33/66 coupons spent
  • edited 19 June 2019 at 3:09PM
    Laura_ElsewhereLaura_Elsewhere Forumite
    745 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 19 June 2019 at 3:09PM
    I'm off today to Shrewsbury to meet a new friend, someone from the Ravelry knitting forum who lives locally-ish - we plan to go to the amazing fabric shop whose name I always forget so I call it Wotsit & Thingie but I think it's Watson & Thornton, AND we're going to Ewe & Ply, the brilliant yarn shop.... argh! Will my 22.5 coupons stay intact?!?!?

Also, I'm collecting those gorgeous Victorian-style ankle-boots from the Proper Cobbler, and look forward to wearing them about the flat for a few days to get used to them again...

EDIT: woohoo, I managed not to buy anything other than travel tickets, food and drink! :)
    (66+8.5 from last year)

• Laura_ElsewhereLaura_Elsewhere Forumite
    745 posts
    ✭✭
    You get what you pay for... aged 15, I paid £52 for these in 1984.... and aged 50, I am still wearing them, after a few years of their being in need of a Proper Cobbler's care!

64735047_10158578035814606_8339135650401878016_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr3-1.fna&oh=cfea1d5dc66957d8156e0ccf53707e96&oe=5D824E0D
    (66+8.5 from last year)

• thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those boots are just awesome, Laura!

I'm still not in need of anything except a couple of new bras. All the medical fiddling about has come to an end now & I'm just left with a smallish plaster; I can't claim that's responsible for things not fitting correctly! I'm well out of shape though I didn't really put any weight on, so as long as there are no Big Occasions to plan for, I'll stick with my secondhand bargains until something resembling a waist has reappeared!

Speaking of which, I had a raid on the recycler's warehouse-shop earlier, with DD2; she came out with a fabulous old Clockhouse crocheted strappy summer dress, which she looks stunning in (she's all legs) & fits perfectly, and I have a new-to-me Wallis glittery jumper, a Pierre Cardin nobbly cardi, and a Monsoon glittery top; all for £2! I'm a total magpie; never can resist a bit of glitter... There were a few other bargains to put on my stall, too. So - no coupons spent, but I will, as soon as I can get to a lingerie department with "sensible" (i.e. G-cup) sizes...
    Angie

GC July 20 £305.20/£450
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    I love your boots, Laura. They are totally awesome. I have wanted a pair like them for years. Maybe if I save up...?

Talking of saving, ever since I broke a bone in my right foot in 2016, I’ve been thinking about getting a pair of DMs for work. (Normally, I wear loafers if I’m wearing trousers.) Well, two weeks ago, we were in Covent Garden so I checked out the DM shop. £175 for a pair of plain, black DMs made in the UK. £30-£40 more expensive than the ones made in Thailand or Vietnam. Time to start saving. I revisited my budget today at work and figured out that I can squeeze another £10 out of it, so can set £50 a month aside for clothes/shoes/makeup instead of the current £40. (The “Boot Fund” has £40 in it at present.) If I cut the Yarn Fund back to £10 - currently £20 - that’ll make it £60 a month, so 3 months saving will do it.

- Pip. (The last time I owned a pair of DMs, I was a student nurse in Australia and wore them for work.)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' " o:)

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 33/66 coupons spent
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the picture Laura, I love the boots - and that really is thrifty! I'm saving up for a pair of Fly boots, annoyingly the price on Amazon has just gone up from £55 to £85 so I'm going to have to wait for it to come down - but you're making me think that they will probably be a good investment. Not as good as yours, you must have had great foresight and taste at 15!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • I love the boots Laura. That reminds me that I have a pair my Grandma gave me when I was 16, (now 54) I'll have to dig them out and see if they are still wearable.

PipneyJane, could you get to Northamptonshire easily? Doc Marten has a factory shop at Wollaston and the prices are really good.
    Stash busting challenge 2020: 96/150
    Declutter challenge 2020: 430/2020
    Fashion on the ration 2020: 0/80