edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
999 replies 93.1K views

Replies

• AnonAnon Forumite
    14.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    masonic wrote: »
    Clearly we do. I'm ok with you thinking me a monster for offering to use codes from other people if they used one of mine. That's a scenario I'd call win-win rather than the situation where I didn't get the opportunity to give out all of my codes.

In the past I've accepted referrals from individuals who were practically making a business of it and earning thousands of pounds. Accepting a referral split in such circumstances seems fair in my view, and no different than accepting a share of the referral money obtained by professional sites like Quidco and Topcashback.

Where have I said you are a monster? In the scenario you have just said, swapping codes so each get £100, then that makes perfect sense and is a completely difference scenario :huh:. It is taking a fee for using someone's code that I struggle with.
    Anyway, as long as everyone involved in the transactions is happy, why should I care? I was simply presenting my view.
  • edited 16 June 2019 at 11:08AM
    masonicmasonic Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 June 2019 at 11:08AM
    Anon wrote: »
    Where have I said you are a monster?
    I inferred it from these comments, my bold:
    I am shocked by some of the mercenary and frankly greedy attitudes on this thread.
    The alternative/counter suggestion was simply accepting the words "thank you" like many others have done.
    In the scenario you have just said, swapping codes so each get £100, then that makes perfect sense and is a completely difference scenario :huh:. It is taking a fee for using someone's code that I struggle with.
    I don't think it is different. They are both offers with 'strings attached'. In the latter case of taking a fee, this is simply an acknowledgement that there is an imbalance in effort required by the referrer and switcher that ought to be reflected in the relative reward. £60/£40 for switcher vs referrer seems very fair, especially given that there is a surplus of referrers over switchers.

Without that little extra incentive, perhaps there would have been fewer accounts switched and therefore less money shared by both parties in these transactions. I guarantee you at the end of this offer there will be a large number of unused codes. Perhaps you were unable to shift all of yours? I don't think I'd have shifted any of mine without offering something in return.

When swapping, both parties do an equal amount of work, therefore the £100/£100 split is appropriate.
    Anyway, as long as everyone involved in the transactions is happy, why should I care? I was simply presenting my view.
    I completely agree, hence I was taken aback by earlier comments directing moral judgements at those who asked for more than a "thank you" in exchange for using someone's code.
  • edited 16 June 2019 at 11:38AM
    bristolleedsfanbristolleedsfan Forumite
    8.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 June 2019 at 11:38AM
    I am shocked by some of the mercenary and frankly
    greedy attitudes on this thread. .

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75924561#post75924561
    "Out of interest, which bank has no limit please? I believe 3 seems to be the limit (at any one time) on many bank platforms?"

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=mercenary+attitude+definition

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=greedy+attitude+definition
  • schiffschiff Forumite
    19.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That m'lud is the case for the prosecution.

Judge: this may be a good time to recess. Convene tomorrow at 10am.

All rise.
  • soulsaversoulsaver Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    schiff wrote: »
    That m'lud is the case for the prosecution.

Judge: this may be a good time to recess. Convene tomorrow at 10am.

All rise.
    Y usual MSE off piste blox.
  • edited 16 June 2019 at 12:24PM
    AnonAnon Forumite
    14.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 June 2019 at 12:24PM
    Clearly I have misjudged the situation on here and should have been taking more for helping fellow money savers and left you all to it.

I am not sure how comparing my query about how many accounts one can have with any particular bank (and indeed switching accounts legitimately within the stated terms and conditions - however many that may be) with taking an additional fee for helping is the same, but thank you for enlightening me.
  • edited 16 June 2019 at 12:58PM
    8.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 June 2019 at 12:58PM

I am not sure how comparing my query about how many accounts one can have with any particular bank (and indeed switching accounts legitimately within the stated terms and conditions - however many that may be) with taking an additional fee for helping is the same, but thank you for enlightening me.

Well for a start several Banks that have been mentioned most prominently on this thread e.g Lloyds/TSB as a good bet for opening Current accounts purely for switching bonus elsewhere ask on their online application form what the purpose will be for opening the account, I have never seen an option to tick (in any way shape or form) to use as a donor account to switch elsewhere for personal gain :)
  • masonicmasonic Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearly I have misjudged the situation on here and should have been taking more for helping fellow money savers and left you all to it.
    That's partly the fault of MSE for not allowing people to state they were willing to give a little extra to switchers in the referrer's board. You'll know for next time that such things happen should you wish to partake of such offers. I don't know how many existing accounts you switched, and how many new donor accounts you opened to switch, but it sounds as though you were among the more prolific switchers and I think it's unfortunate that none of the people you helped offered any kind of split of their share when others would have.
  • wizzywig27wizzywig27 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried to track this thread, but I am not sure who gives who the money, the referrer or referee...

Anyway, I have traded lots of my codes with a certain individual on here, the way I see it is if he uses my code, I get £50 and he gets £50 for his time - I really do not like the underhand tactics of individuals on the referrers board who try to outdo everyone else by offering 50% of their switch bonus (for example). Its very cut throat
  • edited 17 June 2019 at 11:48AM
    8.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 June 2019 at 11:48AM
    wizzywig27 wrote: »
    underhand tactics

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=underhand+tactics+definition

I wanted to switch to Octopus Energy via RAF, nobody on MSE at that time was offering a RAF split, I had to join another forum where RAF splits were being offered. Equally I always give splits out of any RAF payments I receive.

I would like to take this opportunity of thanking those on MSE who have paid me a split(s) out of RAF payments they have received in respect of Santander and other RAF offers, has made the offers more worthwhile to participate in, especially Santander switches where I switched out and closed accounts that were paying monthly rewards/higher Interest accounts than available elsewhere, this meant more switches done than might otherwise have been the case thus more codes offered by MSE users overall were claimed. :T