New Post Advanced Search

Fly repellent

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
9 replies 918 views
chimpysmithchimpysmith Forumite
16 posts
Eighth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I noticed that my violas in my window boxes were shrivelling, closer inspection was they were covered in green/white fly. I started soaking them in shop bought fly spray and soapy water too. We had a week of torrential rain and I've just looked at them again. Every single one of my pots That were blooming are shrivelled with flies. I never have problems with flies on violas normally, I'm gutted.
Any advice?

Replies

• sherambersheramber Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Use a systemic fly killer regularly as advised on the packet.
  • chimpysmithchimpysmith Forumite
    16 posts
    I was out there every day soaking the window boxes in fly killer��
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are talking white flies they are notoriously hard to kill now the more toxic chemicals have been withdrawn. A systemic should sort them, but systemics are not instant death, like systemic weedkillers, needs time to work
    16 posts
    I'm so nervous that it's going to spread to the rest of my pots. It's effecting about 70% so far. Just wondering if to bin all of them as spraying them every day doesn't seem to be helping. I hate throwing plants though.
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are these indoors or greenhouses?
    Out in the fresh air normally inhibits them
  • AlfrescodaveAlfrescodave Forumite
    776 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Farway wrote: »
    Are these indoors or greenhouses?
    Out in the fresh air normally inhibits them

I had a similar problem with whitefly on some peppers I was growing in the conservatory. I managed to move peppers plus containers outside and the insects (especially hover flies) soon removed all the little beggars.
    16 posts
    Unfortunately these are all outside .
  • AlfrescodaveAlfrescodave Forumite
    776 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so nervous that it's going to spread to the rest of my pots. It's effecting about 70% so far. Just wondering if to bin all of them as spraying them every day doesn't seem to be helping. I hate throwing plants though.

I think that if 70% are already infected then I'd be biting the bullet and dump the lot - sometimes Mother Nature wins and we mere mortals have to accept defeat.

You still have time to achieve a good display this year if you restock now - Jersey Plants seem to bombard my inbox every day with offers.
    16 posts
    Thankyou I think you're right. Bit worried they'll come back so think I'll have to dump the flowers and the compost beacause that's got a crust on it that doesn't look good. I'll just get a few new plants but not pansy's. Maybe marigolds or lobelia because they don't seem as interested in those.