New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Which one would you keep?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
10 replies 868 views
duncanthedogduncanthedog Forumite
3.6K posts
1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
You are only allowed to keep one of these for the rest of your life, you have to pick one to keep and live without the rest.

Home heating
Mobile phone
Car/Motorbike
Alcohol
Pizza
Computer/internet

Which ONE would you keep 32 votes

Home Heating
34% 11 votes
Mobile Phone
12% 4 votes
Car/Motobike
18% 6 votes
Alcohol
6% 2 votes
Pizza
0% 0 votes
Computer/internet
28% 9 votes

Replies

• DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A cozy shack on digital equivalent of the Outer Hebrides? Still with real libraries schools & hospitals - I think I could adapt & enjoy it.

I suspect my children might burn me for warmth so long as they had the internet....
  • JackmydadJackmydad Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think I'll keep the heating ta!
  • donnajunkiedonnajunkie Forumite
    32.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cant decide between the first and last. The rest are expendable.
  • kingfisherbluekingfisherblue Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are only allowed to keep one of these for the rest of your life, you have to pick one to keep and live without the rest.

Home heating
    Mobile phone
    Car/Motorbike
    Alcohol
    Pizza
    Computer/internet

The heating for me. Apart from anything else, my son needs it for his health.

Mobile phone - I have a landline and so do most of my neighbours. We still have a phone box on the main road too :)
    Car/motorbike - I've never been on a motorbike and I'm not starting now :rotfl:. Having a car is very useful, but I still have use of my legs, and I can get the bus or order a taxi if necessary. The bus stop is just around the corner, maybe two minutes walk.
    Alcohol - I'm teetotal :D. Now if you were talking about getting rid of black coffee....:eek:
    Pizza - I only eat it occasionally anyway.
    Computer/internet - now this was a difficult one, but the library is only a mile away, and they have computers. I could also borrow my son's laptop :rotfl:
  • colinwcolinw Forumite
    60K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Home Heating
    Computer / Internet
    Car
    Pizza
    Mobile
    Alcohol

You are a very inquisitive dog....
  • kingfisherbluekingfisherblue Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    colinw wrote: »
    Home Heating
    Computer / Internet
    Car
    Pizza
    Mobile
    Alcohol

You are a very inquisitive dog....

:rotfl:
    (post too short)
  • zagubovzagubov Forumite
    17.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live so close to a library that only common decency prevents me from using its wifi.
    I'm in the concrete island of London but grew up on area 4° cooler than here, so extra clothing solves the heating problem.
    I'm a biologist and as a hobby can be self-sufficient for alcohol.
    As a student I had to make my own pizzas from kits as refrigerator space was tiny in the 70s.
    Mobile phones are okay but I'm a late convert. Got a landline anyway.
    Cars; I've no driveway but got a free oyster card and London's got a great public transport system.
    I suppose that leaves computers, but I prefer old ones. They've deteriorated in the last decade. But hang on, my library's got them.
    So, I'm good, thanks.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • JackmydadJackmydad Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭

Home heating
    Mobile phone
    Car/Motorbike
    Alcohol
    Pizza
    Computer/internet

To turn the question around, which of these would you keep Duncan, with the same conditions as the OP?

Lamp posts
    Rubber balls
    Bones
    Tummy rubs
    Favourite dog treat
    Running in the park (or wherever)

:D
  • need_an_answerneed_an_answer Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Presumably I could still keep the mobile phone with internet access so don't need the computer?

TBH ive been without all of those things at some point in my life and survived so i'll be bold and say you can take them all away!
    in S6 T 20 F 36
    out S11 T 16 F 41

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21
  • duncanthedogduncanthedog Forumite
    3.6K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    To turn the question around, which of these would you keep Duncan, with the same conditions as the OP?

Lamp posts
    Rubber balls
    Bones
    Tummy rubs
    Favourite dog treat
    Running in the park (or wherever)

:D

I can pee anywhere :p
    Don't see the attraction of rubber balls, I tend to just leave them lying.
    Not so keen on bones any more.
    I would miss tummy rubs but I can live without them.
    As I eat just about everything, I don't really have a favourite :think:
    I just love to run when I get the chance so I would just have to keep that one :D :T