edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
31 replies 7.1K views

Replies

• Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    z1a wrote: »
    How does the customer pay extra for air? Loaves are sold by weight.

Supermarket psychology.

Brits do not consistently compare products by stated weight or edible volume. We see a large/ small/ medium 'whatever' and grab it, or we see X meals worth based on the manufacturer's portion size.

How much 'shrinkflation' do manufacturers get away with by tweaking the packaging or shape of the product? Toblerone, crisps.

Commercial ice cream is pumped full of air. As are many breakfast cereals. Froth on coffee. What they cannot add air to they add water to: more ice cubes than soft drink, bacon, chicken breasts ....

MSE regulars are arguably more savvy than average, but most of us are fooled by something. If we check weight/ volume/ additives/ price (I do) we miss other key information. A yellow or orange sticker and I slacken my basic animal welfare principles. :o Or I half-clock a welfare 'symbol' but fail to read the small print. :o
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • silverwhistlesilverwhistle Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    All your post has done is put me off "artisan" breads.

I think that is called cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Continue to buy what you want, whether for taste or filling up your tum, but don't blame artisan breads for the crapness of the Chorleywood process.

I'll continue to make my own, and if the occasional loaf comes out a bit brick like it always makes cracking toast! I made a couple of ciabattas on Friday and with a little help they've both disappeared. I made the starter the night before, and the longer fermentation helps both the taste and the digestibility. Not much extra work which is mostly done by the yeast whilst I do other things.
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    totallyy agree, home made bread is so much better for you then the supermarket breads

If I eat two slices of white, toasted, for breakfast my dressing gown belt will be cutting into me before I get back up the stairs

It doesnt happen with HM bread
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
  • Spider_In_The_BathSpider_In_The_Bath Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    suki1964 wrote: »
    totallyy agree, home made bread is so much better for you then the supermarket breads

If I eat two slices of white, toasted, for breakfast my dressing gown belt will be cutting into me before I get back up the stairs

It doesnt happen with HM bread

Exactly the same with me.

Most shop made bread gives me stomach ache and can make me look like a pregnant hippo.

Never happens with homemade bread.
  • HappyUserHappyUser Forumite
    301 posts
    It's confirmed: Marks & Spencer breads are all horrible
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HappyUser wrote: »
    Noooo...!

The date and walnut is so delicious, I could eat a whole boule at a time!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • edited 15 June 2019 at 7:16AM
    sarah1972sarah1972 Forumite, Board Guide
    16.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 June 2019 at 7:16AM
    HappyUser wrote: »

:eek: Have you honestly tried ALL the varieties of M&S breads ?

Their Olive bread is to die for
    Their sourdough is lovely
    Their stone baked seeded bread is amazing
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards & Competitions
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does the OP live in the USA? If you think UK breads are sweet you should eat theirs! I remember going round the supermarket trying to find bread without added sugar, took ages! I can't taste any sweetness in the main loaves in the UK, I know there's some sugar in it, but I can't personally taste it.
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    Does the OP live in the USA? If you think UK breads are sweet you should eat theirs! I remember going round the supermarket trying to find bread without added sugar, took ages! I can't taste any sweetness in the main loaves in the UK, I know there's some sugar in it, but I can't personally taste it.
    Agreed, it's not good.

Food in the US is either amazing or astonishingly bad.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • I buy at local bakery and it's to my taste