ISA - do I have to transfer a nil balance?

Hello,

I contributed some money to an ISA with Foresters Friendly in this current tax year and then withdrew it, so my ISA balance with them is £0.00.

The reason for doing this was that I needed the money quickly, however now I am in a position to contribute to an ISA again.

However, I want to use a different provider. As my balance with Foresters Friendly is £0.00, do I have to do an ISA transfer to the new provider or can I just open a new ISA with the new provider?

FYI - both are stocks and shares ISAs.

Thank you in advance! :D

Replies

• AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    19.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I think you'll have to transfer it because you can only contribute to one S&S isa in one year so if you opened a new one that would be two. Probably to simplify the transfer I'd put some money into foresters first.
  • soulsaversoulsaver Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Firstly are you sure you have any ISA balance left for this tax year?
  • masonicmasonic Forumite
    19.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Foresters Friendly offer flexible ISAs, so if that's what you have and you've paid in cash, then made a flexible withdrawal of the full balance without investing any of it, you have essentially opened an ISA without subscribing and could open another ISA of the same type without falling foul of the ISA rules.

However, if you've invested within the ISA and your investments have lost any money, the balance withdrawn would be less than the balance subscribed and you would have to use the transfer process.

Another option would be to use the cooling off period to cancel the ISA if you've only recently opened it and if available.
  • AlexlandAlexland Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Despite ISA flexibility remember that S&S investments are volatile so not suitable for dipping into when you need money. Ensure you have a cash buffer and only invest money which you don't expect to need for at least 5 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Water bills a struggle?

Find out what help's available

MSE News

Cyber Monday 2022

Avoid the hype - only spend if you were going to anyway

MSE Forum

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

40+ shows incl Disney's Frozen, The Lion King

MSE Tool