New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms


Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Boris 114

edited 13 June 2019 at 1:11PM in Discussion Time
169 replies 2.1K views
13468917

Replies

  • MidlandsGloryMidlandsGlory Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    And yet he is the only candidate making any sense. We are doomed by the idiots! Again.

    Making sense? deja vu Theresa May of trying to fudge a cross party deal that can never happen because Labours only real interest in Brexit is as a means to force an election, not respecting the referendum) and all the other parties are fanatical remainers.

    Who in their right minds wants the resulting years more of damaging uncertainty and can kicking?

    Then threatening to hold a rebel parliament in the pub over the road should God forbid, a PM try to force parliament to do as it promised it would?

    Half of parliament might be crackheads, but he is a 100% crackpot.
  • wymondhamwymondham Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone else notice the men in suits got rid of the women rather quickly !
  • edited 14 June 2019 at 10:01AM
    Ted_BlokeTed_Bloke Forumite
    24.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 June 2019 at 10:01AM
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    It says everything that the Boris machinery won't let him out of his cage ahead of the next round, for fear of what might come out of his mouth that might offend (a near-given).

    So far the competition has been one of who can outflank the other with the more extreme policies. But there may be some check on that - big risk he faces is he is being challenged to take part in televised debates. Risks his lack of grasp and preparation being shown up, e.g. having to defend his irresponsible taxation wheezes, he could be shown up as a right-wing Diane Abbott. I don't know if it affects anybody but among those who have not yet caught the disease The question of how he intends to leave as he insists by October when in the meantime you have this election to complete,Parliamentary recess, probably a slowdown in Brussels for August, slowdown there for changes of Commission, EP etc., the Tory and other party Congresses in September would be embarrassing.
    Witch hunt saboteur. Sorry my posts so long - not time write shorter ones. A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel - “The very first step we must take is the acquisition of enough self-respect and self-confidence to say that we have met an enemy and that he is not us, but someone else.” De asini callidi nauseatum sum
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ted_Bloke wrote: »
    So far the competition has been one of who can outflank the other with the more extreme policies. But there may be some check on that - big risk he faces is he is being challenged to take part in televised debates. Risks his lack of grasp and preparation being shown up, e.g. having to defend his irresponsible taxation wheezes, he could be shown up as a right-wing Diane Abbott. I don't know if it affects anybody but among those who have not yet caught the disease The question of how he intends to leave as he insists by October when in the meantime you have this election to complete,Parliamentary recess, probably a slowdown in Brussels for August, the Tory and other party Congresses in September would be embarrassing.
    I don't think he can be - for the simple reason that he knows exactly what he is saying before it leaves his mouth. He just doesn't care that it can be highly offensive.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

    "No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

    Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wymondham wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice the men in suits got rid of the women rather quickly !
    I don't see this as a manifestation of sexism, it was a simple matter of competence and confidence - none and little, respectively.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

    "No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

    Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • .string..string. Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ted_Bloke wrote: »
    So far the competition has been one of who can outflank the other with the more extreme policies. But there may be some check on that - big risk he faces is he is being challenged to take part in televised debates. Risks his lack of grasp and preparation being shown up, e.g. having to defend his irresponsible taxation wheezes, he could be shown up as a right-wing Diane Abbott. I don't know if it affects anybody but among those who have not yet caught the disease The question of how he intends to leave as he insists by October when in the meantime you have this election to complete,Parliamentary recess, probably a slowdown in Brussels for August, the Tory and other party Congresses in September would be embarrassing.

    Also the changing of the guard in Brussels.

    I agree that the televised debate will be significant, not from the point of view of the MPs with regard to Boris's capabilities, because they will know that already, but because of the response he gets from the public. They (the Tory lot) need a vote winner.

    I don't know these politicians sufficiently well to make a reasoned judgement on who I would vote for, I need to hear what they have to say in detail and a televised circus show will help to form an opinion. I doubt that I would pick Boris though. One aspect of his character is important, perhaps critically so in current circumstances, and that is whether he is a good team manager. I don't see a way to judge that at present. If he were to win this thing by a landslide amongst MPs, uniting different factions in support of him, that may say something.

    I do take issue, though with those here who scoff at Boris as if they have anything like the record or even the "Smarts" to achieve what he has. Who here could win through to be Mayor of London and then have a second term? It takes someone special to be able to do that and eccentricities are somewhat incidental. Attack the policies and not the, er, Person.
    Union, not Disunion

    I have a Right Wing and a Left Wing.
    It's the only way to fly straight.
  • .string..string. Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Incidentally, I'd have a lot more respect for the integrity of MPs if they cancelled their summer recess and got stuck in to finish some of their urgent Brexit-related work. The Tories, for example, would cut a week or three off their timetable for choosing a new leader so that they can get stuck into this Brexit Boil which needs lancing, one way or the other.
    Union, not Disunion

    I have a Right Wing and a Left Wing.
    It's the only way to fly straight.
  • njm123njm123 Forumite
    248 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    I would agree on that, but even without the rabble rousing people seem terrified of his actual politics, which seems a bit odd given that the accusations of his policies driving away investment apply equally to our leaving the EU.

    Are people against the establishment or not? On the one hand it seems they want change, on the other they seem scared of it. I think the left/right and leave/remain split is kind of the wrong way round in that leaving the EU makes more sense form a left wing perspective, while from a conservative/pro-business perspective it doesn’t.

    What people (or a paper's readers) want is a party that will promise to

    - Deliver the services they want to use and none they think they'll never use.
    - Tax someone else to pay for these services

    The classic "We need more services, cut my taxes I'm paying too much argument", not much to ask for surely :D:
  • Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    4.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Michael Portillo was saying on This Week yesterday that if you add 114 to 83 BoJo will win by a landslide.
    michaels wrote: »
    The weird thing is that Boris is hated/thought a buffoon by:
    The intelligentsia
    The media elite
    Ethnic minorities
    Remainers
    And generally 'all right thinking people'

    Is basically the whole London electorate.

    And yet he won the mayoralty not just once - could have been a fluke or because no one realised how incompetent he was - but twice in London.

    Not sure what that tells us but something.

    I don't know one person who lives near me who said they voted for him as London mayor.

    Unless they were lying to me.:D
  • edited 14 June 2019 at 11:52AM
    Ted_BlokeTed_Bloke Forumite
    24.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 June 2019 at 11:52AM
    .string. wrote: »
    Also the changing of the guard in Brussels.

    I agree that the televised debate will be significant, not from the point of view of the MPs with regard to Boris's capabilities, because they will know that already, but because of the response he gets from the public. They (the Tory lot) need a vote winner.

    I don't know these politicians sufficiently well to make a reasoned judgement on who I would vote for, I need to hear what they have to say in detail and a televised circus show will help to form an opinion. I doubt that I would pick Boris though. One aspect of his character is important, perhaps critically so in current circumstances, and that is whether he is a good team manager. I don't see a way to judge that at present. If he were to win this thing by a landslide amongst MPs, uniting different factions in support of him, that may say something.

    I do take issue, though with those here who scoff at Boris as if they have anything like the record or even the "Smarts" to achieve what he has. Who here could win through to be Mayor of London and then have a second term? It takes someone special to be able to do that and eccentricities are somewhat incidental. Attack the policies and not the, er, Person.
    p
    Thank you, I had meant to mention but forgot the change of guard in Brussels, I have now incorporated your reminder.

    I was just reacting. Yesterday's news seemed like it was all over bar the shouting (for election of Tory leader, that is, The little matter of Brexit would be ongoing). But forcing a televised confrontation where you actually talk about real policies however superficially is apparently part of a fight back, and is taking him on a weak point

    As you say, winning elections is key. That is the main reason he would win this election would be that he is considered to have the best chances of winning another, a general election.

    PR is a lot of what the London Mayor's job is about. I have been reading that he did that bit well enough, spent a lot on vanity projects like the garden bridge which never happened, however London is now lacking a bridge with the closure of Hammersmith bridge; he didn't get any affordable housing built, I read that the show in London was kept on the road by an eminence grise or 'Boris's brain' whose name hardly anyone knows. Probably will not turn out to make any difference to anything, just saying.

    He did box himself in by promising Brexit by October. It will be embarrassing and needful of distraction at The late September Party Congress where he will probably be short of a triumph in Brussels to announce. That is probably when we shall begin to hear in the press of the 'Ditch Boris' movement, as we have with every PM I can remember.
    Witch hunt saboteur. Sorry my posts so long - not time write shorter ones. A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel - “The very first step we must take is the acquisition of enough self-respect and self-confidence to say that we have met an enemy and that he is not us, but someone else.” De asini callidi nauseatum sum
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support