Forum Home» Money Saving Polls

MSE Poll: How do you rate your banks' apps? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

MSE Poll: How do you rate your banks' apps?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
15 replies 5.8K views
2»

Replies

• ozazozaz Forumite
    293 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Murphybear wrote: »
    I have a Barclays and Coop account, use apps for both. OH has Halifax. We transfer funds between the 3 on a regular basis and it's virtually instantaneous these days.

For bank transfers yes, but not for spending in shops.
  • jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have accounts with a number of banks and the best app I've found to be Tesco Bank. Even the small things seem to be missed with some banks like showing the balance of your account as you go to make a transfer or payment. Not difficult but Tesco is one of the few that actually show you how much is in your account!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • edited 17 June 2018 at 8:39AM
    danzedanze Forumite
    22 posts
    edited 17 June 2018 at 8:39AM
    My personal league table from using each of these apps over the last few years.

1. Monzo - Seems to do everything all the others do and more, instant notifications, real time conversion when using abroad, summaries of how much you spent when you come back to UK, instant lost card freeze, really good web chat based CS via the app.
    2. Barclays - Can view pending transactions, can see balance summary each day (no fingerprint login)
    3. Nationwide - Just works well, never felt much was missing besides pending transaction and balance summaries.
    4. Natwest - Decent app, no daily/rolling balance summaries (just current balance), using transfers / payments is slow / unresponsive, asks for account number and sort code rather than sort code and account number (seems backwards)
    5. Halifax - Solid app when I used it, haven't used it for a couple of years
    6. HSBC - Pretty barebones
    7. First Direct - Pretty barebones
    8. B (Yorkshire/Clydesdale) - Really ambitious but nothing works, constant crashes, doesn't actually cancel direct debits etc when it says it has, made multiple repeated BACS transfers when I only asked for one.
    Debt free journey (Started Feb 2018)
    124,857.98 / 136,325.55
  • danthemoneysavingmandanthemoneysavingman Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭
    Am curious what people classify as "loads of features" in the poll.

I use apps for payments and transfers as fingerprint login saves a lot of messing about (vs. on a PC where extra codes being sent by text etc), so find v useful for that.
    No real need for real-time transactions for me I think, as day-to-day spending done on credit cards (for the cashback!)

Do any apps allow you to set up new payments or standing orders, delete direct debits, things like that?
    Or do all banks restrict that to the web side of things? Possibly a security thing, no idea.

Pls share your thoughts folks :)
    Let me Google that for you...
  • ozazozaz Forumite
    293 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Am curious what people classify as "loads of features" in the poll.

I use apps for payments and transfers as fingerprint login saves a lot of messing about (vs. on a PC where extra codes being sent by text etc), so find v useful for that.
    No real need for real-time transactions for me I think, as day-to-day spending done on credit cards (for the cashback!)

Do any apps allow you to set up new payments or standing orders, delete direct debits, things like that?
    Or do all banks restrict that to the web side of things? Possibly a security thing, no idea.

Pls share your thoughts folks :)

The mobile-only banks (e.g. Monzo and Starling) set the standard for ‘loads of features’ IMO. I use Monzo and in the poll selected loads of features for Monzo and standard features for all 4 traditional banks I also have accounts wih. The features Monzo has that I particularly like and are not typically found in apps for traditional banks include: instant transaction notifications and balance updating, transaction enrichment and notes, transaction search, spending analytics and budgeting tools. I assume Starling has the same or similar.

The mobile-only banks have payee and standing order setup and management. I assume they must also have direct debit deletion functionality but I’ve never used this.