edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
26 replies 7.3K views
13»

Replies

• nickccnickcc Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been getting loads of calls most days from 020 numbers, who called me confirm that these are scam calls from people asking about benefits. Everytime I block the number they call again the next day or soon after on a different number but all begin with 020.
  • pollypennypollypenny Forumite
    28.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've told scammers who want my details that they need to ring my head office, North Wales police in Colwyn Bay as my tech bods deal with issues.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    The scammers are trying something new now-had this yesterday- using a recorded message that says something like 'we have been trying to contact you, there is a problem with your internet coneection, we will have to shut it down within the next 24 hours. For help please dial 1 etc'
    So now they are not trying to represent BT, Talktalk etc- just a catch all!

I usually ask 'who is trying to waste my time?' Got an abusive answer- stop wasting my time, b***ch!- the cheek of it!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    15.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats at least 3 months old .
    All you can do is to block and report numbers.

Does pressing 1 result in charges.
  • SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    5.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The scammers are trying something new now-had this yesterday- using a recorded message that says something like 'we have been trying to contact you, there is a problem with your internet coneection, we will have to shut it down within the next 24 hours. For help please dial 1 etc'
    So now they are not trying to represent BT, Talktalk etc- just a catch all!
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Thats at least 3 months old .
    All you can do is to block and report numbers.

Does pressing 1 result in charges.

We've had a flurry of these wretched calls. Our guess is that pressing 1 (for help) will result in a 'very helpful engineer' sweet talking you into allowing him remote access to your computer so he can fix your problem/rob you blind.
  • silverwhistlesilverwhistle Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had a call yesterday from an out of area number: a pause and then a recording starts. I just put the phone down at that point although I did hear the words "technical department" but not idea who they were claiming to be.