Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

Best weedkiller for driveway/patio - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Best weedkiller for driveway/patio

17 replies 3.6K views
2»

Replies

• DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    31.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    J_B wrote: »
    Also known as Roundup. :)
    Just one of the trade names, which people pay more for than, say, Rosate, one of the commoner internet brands.

Pathclear, mentioned above, has an added ingredient, which is claimed to inhibit re-growth for 'up to three months.' Pity about the weasel words. You'd have to see if this worked out more/less expensive over time.
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roundup, Resolve, Pathclear v Glyphosate is the equivalent of Neurofen v Ibuprofen. There aren't lots of weedkiller manufacturers. One factory, many brands.

I bought a generic weedkiller from Aldi, a huge bottle of concentrate for about £4, the main ingredient is glyphosate.

The equivalent concentrate of Roundup would be 5x the price.

Those adverts cost money.
  • kangoorakangoora Forumite
    956 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I might try a burner just to have the satisfaction of seeing them burn :) and then follow up with a generic weedkiller.

Nice to learn about generic weedkiller, I knew about neurofen vs. ibroprufen but didn't know this.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    31.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kangoora wrote: »
    I might try a burner just to have the satisfaction of seeing them burn :) and then follow up with a generic weedkiller.
    If the burning immediately preceded the spraying, there would be no effect, because weedkillers are designed to work on living tissue, as in my original post.
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • mchalemchale Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Try rock salt
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
  • brisbris Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The weed killer is not a permanent solution as no matter how many times you use it they just keep re seeding. You can kill them for a few weeks but life will find a way.

Try scraping out the cracks and use a kiln dries sand with cement in a 6 to 1 ratio to fill the gaps so they have nothing to seed into.
    denying them any where to grow through is really the only way.
  • JohnB47JohnB47 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    If, like me, you kill anything that you plant, try sowing grass seed on your driveway.

Logically, your seed will not grow and maybe it'll scare the other seeds into giving up. :-)