Forum Home» Cutting Tax

Challenge Council Tax

New Post Advanced Search

Challenge Council Tax

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Cutting Tax
3 replies 429 views
harshitguptaiitrharshitguptaiitr Forumite
171 posts
I've helped Parliament
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Cutting Tax
Is there a scope of challenge in following situation

Property-1 and 2 are next to each other
both have same area

property1 has more rear garden area but 2 bedrooms. Council tax A
property2 has less rear garden area but 3 bedrooms. council tax B

Can the person living in property2 (for more than 1 year now) challenge council tax?


  • CISCIS Forumite
    11.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    You would be reduced to making a request for them to double check the banding - it would not be a decision you could formally appeal.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
  • Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    13.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    If they were both up for sale today would the 3 bedroom property be more expensive than the 2 bed?
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    13.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You cannot appeal because you are out of time, but you could ask for a band review. Worst scenario would be your neighbour would be increased to a Band B.

    If the houses are the same size, why does have 3 beds and the other 2?
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support