I want to break free....

in Debt Free Diaries
165 replies 10.6K views

Replies

• Kitten868Kitten868 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're very determined and doing very well.

The CCA requests are looking positive. Is there any potential you've had PPI anywhere else? My parents went through the no win, no fee route as it was impossible to track all the cards.
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Kitten868Kitten868 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Posted before I'd finished! I'm not saying you should go through a third party just I get my knickers in a twist with the deadline.

Keep your focus on your ccj and you'll come out the other side xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kitten868 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're very determined and doing very well.

The CCA requests are looking positive. Is there any potential you've had PPI anywhere else? My parents went through the no win, no fee route as it was impossible to track all the cards.

My first loan and credit card had PPI, none of the others did. The loan I was told I wouldn't get approved for it if I didn't have PPI, that was after I had talked my way out of their 'but what happens if you don't work' stance, with the CC it was automatically included.

I refused point blank to have PPI after them two, even when it was automatically included as my job, and subsequent jobs, all had good sick pay and death in service benefits.
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments :)

I've now lodged a complaint with the old DMC as all they are sending me is a copy of all the debts, mine and ex's, including the ones I've settled!

Not heard anything yet from the other creditor. Think I'm getting impatient now as it's also a way of checking the debts are mine and not my ex's. Especially as the DMC were clueless, I know new numbered debt 1 and 3 are mine, just need confirmation new numbered 2 debt is too.

My sub-prime CC has just more than doubled my limit, which I've accepted as I know from reading on MSE higher limits are seen as I'm doing something right. My two (combined) limits stand at just under half my current yearly wage.

Went out shopping today and spent a little on my new CC to get that one started. Just a dress, top, pair of shoes and three pairs of leggings/leggings and all had great sale tags; means I can throw out my threadbare clothes. I try and do 'one in, one out' due to space and only buy when I need to replace items.

Money for both CC's are earmarked in my normal account.

Debt balances currently stand at:

1. £837.96 (CCJ)
    2. £1887.60
    3. £6,819.95

Money towards debts/monthly installments stands at:

£449.76

The straggling pounds and pennies on the CCJ are annoying me, but I don't want to make any overpayment until it's time to clear it in full.

As month end is fast approaching and I have more spare money in my normal account than I will need, to cover month end bills and tide me over for two weeks, I've transferred some to my mortgage deposit, and associated costs, savings which means I've just hit the next £k, will take months to reach the next one but I'm happy what I've got saved.
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally had the statements from the old DMC and confirmation of my debts, they still maintain it's now three of them.

I've also had a letter from them to confirm the DMC contact has been terminated.

No response from my newly numbered 2 creditor yet.

By a stroke of luck I've managed to find my very old credit cards, which should help with my PPI complaint as I can now quote an account number to them. Must get my forms finalised and posted.

Having a bit of a frustrating week with my wages, which I can't get to the bottom of until I see my payslip on Friday. The pre-release payslip, which doesn't breakdown figures only the amount to be paid to me, shows I will be getting nearly a fiver a week less now I've had the payrise and pension deduction kick in. I can't for the life of me work out how this has been calculated as I'm only contributing 0.8% of my allowable earnings (don't ask me why it's that low, I'm guessing it's some loophole temping agencies have). Guess I just need to have a proper look Friday at my actual payslip and query it with the agency if it makes no sense then.

Once I know what my new take-home pay will be I can then re-work my budgets (debt fund and savings funds).

I've also put the feelers out at work to try and bag a few more hours to help another department; I'm only doing half the role of the person I'm covering for and not really anything for this particular department, they said they would keep it in house and between the whole team thinking the staff member would be back soon, but as it's now another three months they may not be able to continue covering it themselves. Realistically I know it's a longshot, but an extra few hours a week would be beneficial for me.

Lastly, I've ordered a few files (a) to organise my historic debt papers / communications (b) to keep all my modern bank info, bills etc tidy. Hoping they arrive by Saturday so I can get all my papers neatly tidied away.

No change to debt figures or budget to report.
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My new filing systems arrived today so I have spent this afternoon going through all my paperwork and neatly filing it away, I've a bag of papers to take to work and shred next week.

I've got a smaller pile of my historic debt papers to go through and file into my debt file. I've only had a brief look at it and can trace a few of the debts back to previous owners of them, hopefully when I go through it properly tomorrow to file I might have enough information to trace it back to who I originally took the credit with.

I've had confirmation old debt number 1 is my ex's and need to write back to them saying he is still at the FMH and to remove reference to him at my address and remove my address from their database. Glad I've still got envelopes and stamps.

Still no contact from newly numbered 2 creditor, so I will look at sending a follow up letter by the end of next week. I'm assuming they have received my letter as it's the same debt company as my ex's.

Before anyone asks, no I still haven't finished my PPI complaint letters, but have found my old credit card and so have the account number for that :D I must get them finished and posted next week.

My agency didn't put my payrise through, so I'm short this week as I've had 4% pension auto enrollment start. Positive note is the agency apologised profusely and will be putting it in next week's wages.

No luck on the permanent job front yet, but a few vacancies have popped up where I am temping so I have to get the applications in next week. I'm still trying to grab more hours and have dropped it into conversation with two departments, fingers crossed.

Oh, my new credit card actually gave me the advertised APR of just under 10%, I decided to read the small print :D makes no odds to me as I will be paying the balance off each month.

I must recalculate all my outgoings and work out how much extra I can put away each week. Writing this, I've just decided my rise will go into my debt account as it would be nice to see that increase a bit faster!

Lastly, I'm still tucking the pennies into my savings accounts and dedicated debt payment account.

Debt balances stand at:

1. £837.96 (CCJ)
    2. £1887.60
    3. £6,819.95

£453.07
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I love how organized you are :D x
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying my best to stay focused, probably to the point of obsession, to get rid of these debts as then I can completely move on from my ex relationship. It will also make it a little easier not having a DMP when I am able to go for a mortgage; my broker is just waiting on me to get a permanent job.

I must confess to leading a sad life, I sorted out my historic debt papers and filed them in my debt folder last night while watching TV. All the debts I'm dealing with are at the front and contain letters in and copies of my letters out; I've my I&I ready to go out to debts 2 and 3.

While going through my old papers I came across some of the debts I did F&C's on (20% and 15% off), not great reduction but I'm now in a better place thanks to MSE to negotiate more favourably with debts 2 and 3 when the time comes.

I also got a pen, paper and calculator out to work out the various percentages for debts 2 and 3 when I get responses to the CCA requests. The reason I did this was so I know how much I need to get saved up in the debt plan account; I really do not want to be using any more of my mortgage deposit / emergency savings as I have no way of replacing it on my current wage, debts 2 and 3 are no longer on my CRA's and I'm slowly building up a good financial history!

I've decided to put more into my debt plan account (DPA) and less into my savings from my wages as it will be disheartening, in a way, when I pay the CCJ off to have next to zero in the DPA. It will also give me a little boost seeing the DPA with a small amount in it towards debt 2's F&F.

Of course if D2 or D3 come back saying it's unenforceable then I will go back with a low ball F&F to get rid of it! The CCJ will just be paid off each month until I rebuild the pot; it's 19 months before it drops off my CRA's in any event.

Lastly, I've looked into divorce, seeking guidance from wikivorce and will be doing it up here. Just need to get £125.00 together to get it underway; I've not decided whether to go back to my maiden name or stick with this one after all it's only a name and doesn't make me :)

Debt balances stand at:

1. £837.96 (CCJ)
    2. £1887.60
    3. £6,819.95

£453.67
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a quick update.

I've had more correspondence from the old DMC, finally they have provided me with proof of payment to my creditors over the years and again confirmed which debts are mine; still just the three :D

No response from debt two to my CRA.

No further response yet from debt three to my CRA. Everything is crossed it's never found.

Went into work early so I could get my PPI forms finished off and the systems were down!

However, I decided to be a bit productive and sat there with a pen and paper so I could see when I could realistically clear the CCJ and how much I need to put away extra per month to do it. I can do it in August as that's five payday's in the month and have a bit towards debt two.

I then started working out how long it would be before the other two debts would be paid off, that started getting depressing so I stopped! Will revisit that once the CCJ is gone :D

Haven't been able to bag any more hours at work, but there are a couple of roles I'm going to apply for. Will go in early each morning so I can do a bit each day, unless the systems go again.

A few weeks ago I did something to my back and it's just not getting any better, if anything it's getting worse. I'm debating a GP appointment but cannot see what meds they can give me as I'm already on a combination for various other long-term health issues. Dreading reaching retirement age as it stands as I'm still too young to be in this much pain; is it wrong to want my partner to be a partner rather than my carer!

On a positive note, so I don't come across like I'm only focused on my historic debts:

I've dropped a dress size and had to buy a few smaller clothes, they should last for the next two dress size losses.

I've sent an update to my mortgage broker so he doesn't think I've dropped off the face of the earth.

I've decided 50p in the pound for 'savings' will actually go into the DPA, the rest will be split between mortgage deposit, broker and solicitor fees as well as PB's and miscellaneous savings. Sounds like a earn loads each week, I wish! Nah, actually I don't I'm much happier in this role :D

My missed payrise is being paid in this week's wages, got to love pre-advice payslips!

Let's see what the rest of the week brings.
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't going to update my diary for a few days as didn't expect anything 'exciting' to happen until next week.

My plan was to go into work early to get my PPI forms finished but things changed when I got up today.

This morning I had an email saying there had been a change to my CRA report and I might want to look at it. It's not even due to update until the weekend.

To say I was raging when I checked was an understatement, a former bank of mine who subsequently sold my debts off, undertook an anti money laundering search at my old address!

WTAF it was very unpleasant driving to work going over everything in my head. Mentally went over everything I ever had with them, knew I haven't applied for ANY finance with them or a sister company.

I was preparing my complaint, gave all the details from the search in my complaint and noted one word I missed, I guess red-eye rage does that, the word was 'batch'. Relief and calm started to wash over me as I recalled one of my other banks did that when they thought I had a forgotten account, I didn't.

Kept racking my brains while typing the complaint and thought hold on, just before moving I received a cheque from them for overpayments of miscalculated interest for one account, there has been plenty of talk about people getting cheques lately for miscalculated interest, perhaps they sent cheques for all the other financial products and my ex never bothered sending them up to me, the cheques haven't been cashed and now they are trying to find me and send new cheques! I did go though a load of post when I went to my old house the other week but none of it was for me.

Anyhow, I've submitted my complaint, asking why they have done a search etc and just have to wait and see what happens.

I've reprinted the PPI forms and am about to tackle them.

Sometimes I really hate being in my own head as there is no escape from the thinking, overthinking, analysing and planning!

On a happier note, I'm now trying to end my diary with a positive comment, got home from work and the direct debit for the gas has been reduced by just under £12pm, the way it's going they will be paying us to use gas; in reality the standing charge is going to be higher than the bill again.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion