edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
Someone else’s fault/problem

More and more I see this.

“I bought this and now can’t afford that”
“ I did this and now can’t afford that”
“ I was late and got a ticket, but it’s not my fault”
“ I was going too fast and got caught,but it’s not my fault”

etc etc etc

Why can’t people nowadays just take and accept responsibility for their own actions instead of immediately blaming someone/something else and looking at ways to get out of it

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Replies

• DoaMDoaM Forumite
    10.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the Entitled Generation, innit. :D
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
  • katka1katka1 Forumite
    17 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    I wouldn't say it's the Entitled Generation, whatever generation you are talking about (Baby Boomers, Generation X, Millenials, Gen Z?)

I think there is a lot of problem with people thinking that everything should work out for them in life, but this simply isn't the case. Life has its ups and downs. The thing is that we don't often see the downs in the media (though we did hear the news of the bankruptcy of Jamie Oliver), so people sometimes come to think that life is easy and they should be able to get everything they want.
    'I cannot do all the good that the world needs. But the world needs all the good that I can do.'
  • BlondetottyBlondetotty Forumite
    254 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    Finally, someone else that sees it too! Lack of personal responsibility I think. I've just sat here listening to a colleague complaining because someone else put him in a bad mood and whining that it was their fault he was bad tempered. I'm sat here eye rolling for England and desperately trying to keep my gob shut. :rotfl:
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    3.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is an old phrase...

"They are the authors of their own misfortune"

They'll just never admit to it.

Sometimes you just have to put your hands up and say " yes, I was stupid for doing XYZ". Learn from it and move on.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j
  • edited 25 May 2019 at 7:37AM
    DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    38.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 May 2019 at 7:37AM
    Not in any particular order.

Because they didnt understand/ or read the contract they signed.
    The finance part of the deal was glazed over by the shiny new car but I didnt read the contract the young man asked me to sign as I was thinking of the car. After say 4 months they realise it was a mistake or the payments were too high or they dont have enough money to get their nails done or its been totalled.

The exscuse will be they didnt understamd the finance part.

Don't know what it is but some people just cant accept responsibility for the actions they do.
  • bobwilsonbobwilson Forumite
    595 posts
    It depends which area you're in. The culture in some places is very much a "it's not my fault", finding someone to blame game. In other areas, people own up to things.. probably because they rarely do anything. It's a known fact in psychology that cultures develop by copying behaviour or words from people nearby.
  • engineer_amyengineer_amy Forumite
    803 posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Cracks me up. A number of people I work with will spend an extraordinary amount of time trying to find someone else to blame whenever they do something wrong, then have a detailed post mortem discussion that goes on forever.
    Whereas my attitude is, if I have c0cked up, I hold my hands up, admit the mistake and say how do we fix this, move on. they don't seem to get this, and waste so much time
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What never ceases to amaze me is how many people order stuff from companies without doing a basic check of who they're giving their hard earned dosh to.

And it's usually not their fault that they've been 'ripped-off', 'conned' or 'scammed'.
    One poster on here said "not everybody has time to check a company out before placing an order".
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    23.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just pop across to the energy board. A few recent posts there from people who have had massive bills and complaining that it is all someone else's fault as there is no way they could have used that much. They have never bothered to check the meters or estimated bills until this huge one plopped into their inbox !
  • POPPYOSCARPOPPYOSCAR Forumite
    14.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Not in any particular order.

Because they didnt understand/ or read the contract they signed.
    The finance part of the deal was glazed over by the shiny new car but I didnt read the contract the young man asked me to sign as I was thinking of the car. After say 4 months they realise it was a mistake or the payments were too high or they dont have enough money to get their nails done or its been totalled.

The exscuse will be they didnt understamd the finance part.

Don't know what it is but some people just cant accept responsibility for the actions they do.

So true.

I have a family member who bought a car on finance.

When I asked what the interest rate was they did not have a clue all they knew was they "could afford the monthly payment".

The car ended up being repossessed