Best Balance Transfers Discussion Area

edited 10 June 2010 at 12:31PM in Credit Cards
5K replies 833.1K views

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    28.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He may as well apply now. If declined, leave it a couple of months.

One more search will have no long term effect.
  • Hi - I'm new to this so hopefully I'm posting my question in the right place.

I've just read the guide to the best balance transfer credit cards. Why does it say "don't spend/withdraw cash on this card".
  • edited 14 May 2019 at 7:40PM
    Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 May 2019 at 7:40PM
    Hi lisaevans6691 and welcome to the forum :)

The reason the guide states not to spend/withdraw cash on the card is because a Balance Transfer card will typically have a high APR interest rate for purchases or cash withdrawals, making those types of transactions very expensive. It is cheap for balance transfers only (during the promotional window) :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Anonymous101Anonymous101 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    dotchas wrote: »
    Hi, just looking for a bit of advice, OH has approx 8k credit card debt about to end a 0% term. He applied for the Sainsbury card 29months 0% and was accepted but only 4k CC Limit. When would be best to apply for another 0% to clear the full balance?

Thank you

I was thinking about applying for this card but was concerned the credit limit might not be sufficient. I have a current balance of around £11k on another card.

Would anyone be able to advise as to which cards generally offer the best credit limits? I know this is a very personal and difficult thing to predict.
  • JAS137JAS137 Forumite
    1 posts
    I have just tried to apply for the Sainsburys 22 month 0% balance transfer card. I wanted to transfer less than £4000 balance from another card, I have a full time job on a salary significantly over their minimum level, I have no dependants and no mortgage/rent but I got offered a paltry £1000 credit. Why??
    This is the first time I have tried to do a balance transfer and I just don't understand it. I am put off the whole process.
    Has anyone any other suggestions?
  • Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    JAS137 wrote: »
    … Has anyone any other suggestions?
    Accept the card with the £1,000 and do your transfer. Apply for another card from a different card issuer and balance transfer as much as possible. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • mossbarrymossbarry Forumite
    1 posts
    Beware! Natwest charges a fee for 0% balance transfers. I followed MSE link and went through the whole process to be offered full credit balance only to read T&C's - fortunately to find that they charge 3% for each advance. Further investigation revealed that they do not have ANY fee free balance transfer cards.
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    28.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not particularly unusual...
  • ChrysalisChrysalis Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    balance transfer could be used to clear an overdraft if you have two credit cards. Money transfer is better but can be done with balance transfer.

Use the non BT card to transfer money to something like paypal, then from paypal to bank to clear the overdraft. Then BT from the card used on paypal to BT card.
  • FirstTimer4MeFirstTimer4Me Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Hello,

I'm not that clued up on interest rates :( so looking for some help,

I have a Barclaycard Platinum Vis CC, credit limit £8K, balance £7K

Due to employment / health issues, I'm now making the minimum monthly payments pm, currently, BC charge 25.2% apr - 1.89% pm,

I’ve called BC (off shore) and they’ve refused to lower the interest rate

Given my CC limit & outstanding balance, am I able to get a balance transfer to another CC company?