Forum Home» I wanna buy-it or do-it

Sewing machine for a beginner?

New Post Advanced Search

Sewing machine for a beginner?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
10 replies 3.2K views
Mary91Mary91 Forumite
6 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
I recently start to learn sewing. I like to create unusual items of women's wardrobe and put these ideas into practice. And now I need a good sewing machine. But how to choose... what characteristics to take into account? My budget is small but I would like to buy a quality model. I watched a lot of reviews and now consider the Brother CS6000i sewing machine. What do you think? Are there any sewing lovers?

Replies

  • amiaspdenamiaspden Forumite
    134 posts
    Hi Mary, is the Brother CS6000i actually available in the UK? Often there are different model ranges for the US and UK.


    You won't go far wrong with a good electronic model from the likes of Brother or Janome. The features I wouldn't do without are
    - top loading bobbin (front loading ones tend to jam)
    - one step buttonhole - preferably more than one style
    - needle up/down button. This gives you more control when you stop sewing, if the needle automatically comes down into the fabric your sewing will stay where you want it.
    - twin needle capability. This helps if you want to sew knits
    - ability to adjust the needle position - this makes it easier to get the stitching exactly where you want when topstitching or sewing zips in.
    - ability to drop the feed dogs. Then you can do free motion embroidery and sew on buttons.



    If you can find a sewing machine shop that will give you a demo and let you try it out, that will help you choose.


    I find in practice I don't use all the fancy stitches my machine has.
    I bought my Janome Memorycraft 4000 for about £800 - but that was at least 20 years ago and it's still sewing perfectly. It's never even been serviced ... The equivalent model costs about the same today. In fact I'm kind of hoping for it to break now so I can buy a model with start/go button (so you don't have to use the pedal) and automatic thread cutting.
  • theoreticatheoretica Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever you get, consider the number of feet it has or how much they cost to buy later. A walking foot is very useful especially for knits and stretch fabric.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • MakethedayscountMakethedayscount Forumite
    250 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi! Agree with others. Can't go wrong with good electronic sewing machine from Brother or Janome. I invested in a Janome memorycraft 4850 over 15 years ago. Never been serviced and is still running perfectly. Might be worth it to spend a little more money and get something that will last you a lifetime :)
    MFW: January 2020 £141,777.26 July 2020 £124,704.18
  • hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i Bought a new janome 217-s after asking questions on mse.
    It cost me £99 with a two year guarantee from an independant shop
  • Mary91Mary91 Forumite
    6 posts
    amiaspden wrote: »
    Hi Mary, is the Brother CS6000i actually available in the UK? Often there are different model ranges for the US and UK.


    You won't go far wrong with a good electronic model from the likes of Brother or Janome. The features I wouldn't do without are
    - top loading bobbin (front loading ones tend to jam)
    - one step buttonhole - preferably more than one style
    - needle up/down button. This gives you more control when you stop sewing, if the needle automatically comes down into the fabric your sewing will stay where you want it.
    - twin needle capability. This helps if you want to sew knits
    - ability to adjust the needle position - this makes it easier to get the stitching exactly where you want when topstitching or sewing zips in.
    - ability to drop the feed dogs. Then you can do free motion embroidery and sew on buttons.



    If you can find a sewing machine shop that will give you a demo and let you try it out, that will help you choose.


    I find in practice I don't use all the fancy stitches my machine has.
    I bought my Janome Memorycraft 4000 for about £800 - but that was at least 20 years ago and it's still sewing perfectly. It's never even been serviced ... The equivalent model costs about the same today. In fact I'm kind of hoping for it to break now so I can buy a model with start/go button (so you don't have to use the pedal) and automatic thread cutting.
    What model do you consider now? Will it be Janome again?
    Agree, it's important to try a machine before purchasing...
  • amiaspdenamiaspden Forumite
    134 posts
    Mary91 wrote: »
    What model do you consider now? Will it be Janome again?
    Agree, it's important to try a machine before purchasing...


    Yes, my current dream machine is the Janome Atelier 7. I've also got a Janome Coverpro coverstitch machine and one of their standalone embroidery machines. For overlockers, I started with a Husqvarna Huskylock 936, but it was a pain to use and started skipping stitches a lot, so now I've got a Babylock Enlighten.
    As you can see I've spent a lot on my machines, but sewing is my main hobby and most of my fabric comes from charity shops and car boot sales.
  • Mary91Mary91 Forumite
    6 posts
    amiaspden wrote: »
    Yes, my current dream machine is the Janome Atelier 7.
    Great choice! Yes, really, when you are passionate about something, you are ready to spend money to buy really good equipment.
  • theoreticatheoretica Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread makes me realise how I regret the demise of the sewing machine I learnt on - my mother's 1960s Bernina 707. It only had about 5 stitches, and I hardly used anything other than straight and zigzag, but it did them very well and it wasn't too clever for its own good...
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • TealblueTealblue Forumite
    847 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Bought this four years ago and can thoroughly recommend it (ditto everyone else reviewing it!): https://www.johnlewis.com/janome-dc3050-sewing-machine/p231340611?searchTerm=dc3050
  • danearledanearle Forumite
    3 posts
    I was in a similar predicament a few months ago when my 12 year old daughter said she wanted a sewing machine. After a lot of research I came across this guide which has some good models for those new to sewing. I hope this helps.
    The website is called the sewing machine guide.co.uk and the article was one for beginners
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support