Notice Period enforceable?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Employment, Jobseeking & Training
42 replies 3.1K views
CoconutPCoconutP Forumite
16 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Employment, Jobseeking & Training
Hello,
Wanted some advice.
I started a new job, and after a few weeks into it, i know its not for me. So i have decided to hand my notice in and asked what my notice period is. I have been told its 3 months??
I looked at my job offer letter and there is a notice period clause which just says ‘notice period to be confirmed. See terms.’ But I didnt recieve any terms with the job offer letter. And now I have been given a ‘statement of written particulars’ which says my notice period is 3 months (employer says they had up to 2 months to give it to me, so its still within that time frame).
Where do I stand on this? Any advice?
Thanks

Replies

• Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    What does your contract say? It says three months? Then that's your notice period. Of course its enforceable, you agreed to it when you accepted the job!

If you don't like the job then that's a shame but unfortunately you're part of it now and you need to work the period out.
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a written contract
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • keepcalmandstayoutofdebtkeepcalmandstayoutofdebt Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    My new job always heavily bangs on about a probation period during which time you have to show compentence, progression and an aptitude for the work. It's the only one of two things the basic offer letter makes really clear - afraid I have heard the employer gets two months to provide further particulars.

Someone I know (not me) also appeared so miserable at work, the employer suggested they leave if it was clearly making them so unhappy.

Have you any holiday you could put towards the notice and reducing it. Even if ever so slightly. I really cannot think of an employer in early days trying to keep someone unless they are being spun that things are really good in catch up chats. We get probation chats at 1 month, 6 weeks, 3 months etc.

• General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    McKneff wrote: »
    Do you have a written contract

They's been given the written particulars within the timescale required by law.
  • sportsarbsportsarb Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    What’s your job? Was there any training provided?
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you actually asked them if you can leave earlier? I can't imagine a company wanting an employee who has only been there a few weeks to work a 3 month notice period. However, they won't wish to be the party to suggest this as they won't potentially want to pay out for a 3 month notice period with nothing in return and some employees would take advantage of this.
  • Morata_Morata_ Forumite
    182 posts
    I’d offer a month.

Gives you time to find something new as well. Any future jobs, maybe not mention this job role and use references from previous one?

gl. been in your position this year and was allowed to give 1 week, having offered 4. I had a job to go to so was lucky but I knew after 4 weeks I was in the wrong job. They won’t want a miserable staff worker for 3 months!
  • DoshwasterDoshwaster Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The notice period is enforceable but many employers are happy to negotiate a reduced period, especially for new employees who are still in their training/probation period as they can save money by not employ you to sit around being miserable.
  • CoconutPCoconutP Forumite
    16 posts
    I asked line manager in email and in person, he’s refused both times. Spoke to HR who basically said discuss with your line manager.
    Dont think im getting anywhere!
    :(
  • CoconutPCoconutP Forumite
    16 posts
    Yeh, but only after I already said I want to resign, whats my notice period?
    Didnt get the written particulars until I already said I wish to resign.