Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

Should people pay for broadband based on speed? - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Should people pay for broadband based on speed?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
31 replies 2.2K views

Replies

• Mister_GMister_G Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    littleboo wrote: »
    You talk about line quality but for copper lines, in the majority of cases its line length that limits the speed. Digging up the road to fix the network as you suggest can't change the line length.

As I said.:)
  • wild666wild666 Forumite
    422 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    rajeshk4u wrote: »
    I used to get bad broadband around 2MB. My neighbhoor could have better speed around 6MB. I just happen to have a rubbish line.

Out of frustration, I paid extra for fibre, but I am annoyed, I have to pay extra simply because the line quality is so bad. How is that my fault?

The phone company should be charging based on the broadband speed I can get. Currently the phone companies have no incentive to improve speeds.

It is unfair, I have to pay for fibre, just to get reliable internet.

The phone company should dig up the road and fix their network, if they want me to pay the full price for broadband.

What do people think?

Could it be the wire from the pole?
    After I got BB it started at 32 Mbps but dropped to 1.5 Mbps within hours BT flat out refused to change the wire from the pole so I sent the CEO an Email using ceomail telling him in 96 hours I was taking the case to the small claims court for breach of contract, they had supplied the BB but not at the speed they claimed, I was getting faster results from my phone than the PC, in a week I had a new line from the pole to the home and its been better than the claimed speed ever since.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    46.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BT are looking at pushing fibre nodes to telephone poles and manholes in the road/pathway to boost speeds on long lines .
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    46.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Uxb1Uxb1 Forumite
    565 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    When phone lines first became a consumer purchase - back in the 1920's the line rental charging structure was "interesting".
    Those within a certain distance of the exchange paid a standard rate, and those further away paid more depending on the line length. The logical basis being that long lines are going to need more maintenance and costs.
    Translate that now to broadband and you come up with the concept that those further away and hence with lower speeds should actually be paying more
    Can't see that one as a runner myself.......
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    15.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The FTTP rollout will be increased from its current state according to the CEO .
    Of course that will mean users moaning about higher priced but more reliable broadband .
  • wild666wild666 Forumite
    422 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I am paying £24.99 for 42 Mb with Origin still in the minimum contract period but expect it to go up next March when the minimum period is up even though they said no price increases for 30 months, did that mean the £24.99 will stay that for 30 months or will they up the bill in March to accommodate the phone rental.

12 years ago BT tried to get me to have BT vision with the internet but I didn't have a TV and didn't want one at that time the fastest speed was 0.5 Mb and you needed 1.5 Mb for a stable BT Vision service, they even tried to say I could have it free for 6 months.
    I really do think that the price you pay should be based on the speed received like 1 to 5 Mb, 5 to 10 Mb and so on in increments of 5 Mb.

It's no good paying for superfast broadband, up to 76 Mb, when you can only get 2 Mb.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    wild666 wrote: »
    I am paying £24.99 for 42 Mb with Origin still in the minimum contract period but expect it to go up next March when the minimum period is up even though they said no price increases for 30 months, did that mean the £24.99 will stay that for 30 months or will they up the bill in March to accommodate the phone rental.

12 years ago BT tried to get me to have BT vision with the internet but I didn't have a TV and didn't want one at that time the fastest speed was 0.5 Mb and you needed 1.5 Mb for a stable BT Vision service, they even tried to say I could have it free for 6 months.
    I really do think that the price you pay should be based on the speed received like 1 to 5 Mb, 5 to 10 Mb and so on in increments of 5 Mb.

It's no good paying for superfast broadband, up to 76 Mb, when you can only get 2 Mb.

Sky for one won't sell you fibre broadband if you can only get 2Mbs, possibly not even ADSL.
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rajeshk4u wrote: »
    You mean the shoddy fibre offered by BT, TalkTalk, Sky etc...

The download speed may be around 38MB (or what ever they promise). However, the upload speed is still 1MB.

TalkTalk offer two basic speeds for fibre
    Download 38Mbps with upload 1Mbps
    or for an extra £5 per month :

Download 76Mbps with upload 20Mbps

I don't know whether all addresses get this option but I do and have had a good steady 70+Mbps for 4 years !!
    I negotiate my charges - annually and am currently paying £27.90 per month inc unlimited calls - which I believe is pretty good
    Things may (or may not) get better
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    15.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes thats the standard BT OR 76 meg Fibre package as from many ISPs .
    Speed dependant upon address and actual line to the cabinet .

BT OR FTTP at 150/30 and 300/50 .