Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

Eurovision 2019 - BBC 1 @ 2000 Saturday May 18 - Page 34

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Eurovision 2019 - BBC 1 @ 2000 Saturday May 18

edited 17 May 2019 at 10:51AM in The Money Savers Arms
341 replies 5K views

Replies

• dontonedontone Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm really annoyed by it this year. I didn't expect us to win, but I felt that it was very unfair on the UK. That lad did well, but was treated badly.
    Holland know where to shove their clogs and space cake.
    I'm rather miffed atm.
    Same time next year than?
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • edited 19 May 2019 at 12:05AM
    fun4everyonefun4everyone Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 May 2019 at 12:05AM
    Thanks for the thread everyone, good banter
  • Mrs_RyanMrs_Ryan Forumite
    11.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He definitely didn’t deserve that. It just goes to show that it’s got nothing at all to do with music and all to do with politics.
    Open University 2:1 Graduate 2017; MA graduate DMU 2019- MERIT!! Round 2 OU 2018- BSc Combined STEM (Sports Psychology) Year 1 PASS! E117 &DE100. Year 2- E235 and U214 .
    Civil Partnered 15/02/20
    #TheEllisGengeFanClub
    o:)Elle 20/02/2014 Dad 20/02/2020 Broken-hearted
  • colinwcolinw Forumite
    60K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Night All x
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who else believes that the time has come for UK to resign from Eurovision ?
    I mean – last night was a big joke – not in a nice way either
    There was no way that our entry should have come last
    And as for the piratical OAP – Singing two songs totally flat – Why bother and what were her costs ?
    I have read that she cost $1million to perform and this was covered by a Canadian-Israeli billionaire
    How can a runover cat cost so much ?
    Then there’s the block voting (which I will admit was reduced this year)
    And why do Australia and Israel get to be members of the European “club”
    Why not Brazil or China ?
    Time to call the song contest a day …....
    Things may (or may not) get better
  • balletshoesballetshoes Forumite
    16.6K posts
    just popped in to say thanks for the company last night :). I left before saying goodbye - how rude!

I am ambivalent about UK being placed last after the public vote last night - it was as Quasar put it - soup, and it wasn't even minestrone, it was a clear broth. UK gave its 12 points in the public vote to Norway - which I'm on board with.

I was literally on the edge of my sofa during the public voting results - you can't deny its a fabulous way of keeping the audience until the very last minute. But it must be absolutely horrible for the competitors, I just wanted to give the Swedish guy a hug after he lost.

UK and the other straight-to-the-final countries should definitely stop being major contributors and then be treated the same as everyone else.

Didn't watch Madame Pirate, and from what i've seen on here and other forums, I made the right decision ;).
  • vivatifosivivatifosi Forumite
    18.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't join in last night. I am a die hard Eurovision fan, have been to the contest twice. This year it was too far, so went to Eurovision in Concert in Amsterdam instead.

I've seen Michael Rice sing the song live twice and he is a competent singer. However he has absolutely zero charisma or stage presence. He was also singing a second choice song written by someone who didn't win.

If we want to do well, we need to stop what we are doing and use a similar format to Sweden or Australia. Not target winning initially, but to get on the left hand side.

Look also at the big 5 and host. 4 of them were bottom right. It is a big impediment as they dont get the same exposure. Soldi was a hit over Europe in the months before (the only real hit in depth) and Bilal (France) is a blogger with a huge presence online. Not easy to compete against either.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • no1catmanno1catman Forumite
    3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have the most successful 'Pop' industry in Europe but for our stars - the Eurovision is so un-cool it' the kiss of death to be involved.
    But if the Beeb knew the Spice girls were getting back to together would it have been so impossible to get them involved!?

Our approach via 'talent shows' clearly isn't working so if (and it's a big if) we are to stay in it - there is IMHO an alternative.
    Rather than continue with the 'Pop' route, let's go back to our British roots - something like 'Men aloud' or the 'Fishermen's Friends'.

I can imagine the latter with stirring sea shanties with evocative film of sailing ships in rough sea is shown on the background!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • I would like to see DPRK in Eurovision

• steve900steve900 Forumite
    82 posts
    Darn, I wish I knew this thread was here before now.

Well I tuned in, had my score cards, telephoned and voted for my favourite and then threw my remote control across the room at the end!!!

Best wishes to the Netherlands on winning, but I don't understand the results at all.

I am so out of tune with what Europe seems to like, I feel old or I have bad taste.

I did note that the jury of Norway, Hungary, Belarus, Armenia, Georgia, and Switzerland gave us points. None of them even our neighbours but how the voting goes is really most bizzare.