edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
18 replies 1.1K views
2»

Replies

• FutureGirlFutureGirl Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    His insurers already have your details if they have the CCTV footage.
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The claim is done as far as the third party is concerned ( or will be when he gets his uninsured losses reimbursed!)

His insurance will have your details!

You can get an idea of what difference this does to your future premium now by doing dummy quotes online with the claim in your history
  • ZorilloZorillo Forumite
    750 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect the third party is lying to you as he sees an opportunity to extract £200 from you.

Either that, or he's truly naive. If he hasn't already told them your details despite the fact he knows them, he's risking having his own policy voided amongst other complications, for absolutely no discernible benefit to him.

There is literally no advantage in you agreeing to settle his £200 privately. Leave it to your insurance company.
  • ZorilloZorillo Forumite
    750 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Incidentally, I assume you have seen the CCTV footage yourself or satisfied yourself that the police person that contacted you really was one and that this incident did really happen?
  • loislane99loislane99 Forumite
    30 posts
    Zorillo wrote: »
    Incidentally, I assume you have seen the CCTV footage yourself or satisfied yourself that the police person that contacted you really was one and that this incident did really happen?

Yes, I spoke to a very helpful police officer, so that's all fine.
  • loislane99loislane99 Forumite
    30 posts
    Zorillo wrote: »
    I suspect the third party is lying to you as he sees an opportunity to extract £200 from you.

Either that, or he's truly naive. If he hasn't already told them your details despite the fact he knows them, he's risking having his own policy voided amongst other complications, for absolutely no discernible benefit to him.

There is literally no advantage in you agreeing to settle his £200 privately. Leave it to your insurance company.

I feel it might be naivety.. but of course I don't know this person so it could be either.

Thanks (and thanks to everyone else who replied too) for taking the time to work through this with me and help me understand, I'll leave it to my insurance company.
  • Mistral001Mistral001 Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    You do not have a choice on whether you inform your insurance or not. That is not unless you want to effectively invalidate your insurance and risk your insurers not paying out in future claims. The same goes for the guy you hit.

Keep your insurers informed every step of the way and do nothing without getting it agreed with them first.
  • mattyprice4004mattyprice4004 Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have to echo the above posts, but also have to ask - how do you not know you've hit something?
    I've been in many 'tight' situations where I've been close to another car but not hit it, and panicked like a madman - to actually have made contact would have been something I'd be aware of for sure.

Just seems rather odd! Good luck with the claim etc.