Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! - Page 265

New Post Advanced Search

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

edited 8 May 2018 at 10:26AM in Old Style MoneySaving
4.2K replies 602.8K views

Replies

• PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OT, how're your feet coming along Pollycat?
    How soon before you are allowed back out on the hunt?!
    (And then decked by the medics as they gnaw the other one)
    Mir! wrote: »
    Pollycat can you do :j yet?
    Hi guys.
    Thanks for asking.
    9 weeks in and have finished with the boot and am into trainers, walking very slowly.
    My foot is still pretty swollen, especially towards the end of the day if I've not rested up.
    Apparently that's to be expected for 6 months and maybe longer.

I've just bought 4 pair of identical trainers.
    2 pair of size 3 (my size) and 2 pair of size 4.
    I'll wear size 4 on my operated foot and size 3 on my other foot.
    1 pair for indoors, 1 pair for outdoors.
    Then when I have the other foot done, I'll swop over.

I'll be in trainers until the end of August (at least), 6 month checkup mid September.
    Still getting random pain which apparently is normal.

Long, slow job.
    I did visit my first charity shop yesterday but no bargains.
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Owch! To walk carefully into a cs (hurrah!) & emerge empty handed - that is painful beyond medicine.

Loving the plural trainers waltz you have planned - applause!

Can you make it to Nettlebed for a spirits boosting hunt?
  • patricia50patricia50 Forumite
    253 posts
    Bought a few bits over the last week or two but my two stand out items have to be a soft wool/alpaca kimono style cardigan that apparently retails at £89.99. ( two on eBay at £40 each but this was for me) Also a Jaeger jacket, biker style in a fluffy tweedy fabric. The cardigan was £1 and the jacket £2.50
  • janb5janb5 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tchibo have a really good customer service rep - it might be worth researching the make & model & then emailing them for help? Not being the original customer will be the biggest tripping point, but they may have things to suggest by email.

Hiya ..just to let you know that I did email Tchibo but they were unable to help. I thanked them for replying so swiftly.

A great tip though and much appreciated :)
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y’know those little plastic chests of drawers for the hobbyists and model railway layout enthusiasts? Himself has rolled back with two, one big [& matching an existing one so they’re now clipped together (oh gods)] & one smaller - £1.50 a piece.
    And a sleeping bag & liner £5 (new, should have been £40) & a heap of books shrewdly targeted at sons’ known hobbies & interests & an expensive box of paper - ‘gold’ parchment which himself fondly believes I have a use for - well, at 50 pence I can probably find something...
  • MiróMiró Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the St Gemma's Hospice, 99p shop this afty I found an M & S white linen short sleeved top. With intricate pin tuckings and dartings and as new.

Then in the community chazza I spotted a new, memory foam cat bed, (shrink wrapped and in it's box) priced at £2.95. Thought I would treat the resident moggy, Albert, as he is getting on a bit and has a touch of arthritis. Unboxed said bed and expecting purrs of delight I plonked said cat in.....got that death stare that says 'what the heck do you think you are doing' and the ungrateful creature very slowly and deliberately crawled out of the pawsh new bed, hopped into the cardboard box settled down and went to sleep! Cats!!! :(
  • Bogof_BabeBogof_Babe Forumite
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mir! wrote: »
    In the St Gemma's Hospice, 99p shop this afty I found an M & S white linen short sleeved top. With intricate pin tuckings and dartings and as new.

Then in the community chazza I spotted a new, memory foam cat bed, (shrink wrapped and in it's box) priced at £2.95. Thought I would treat the resident moggy, Albert, as he is getting on a bit and has a touch of arthritis. Unboxed said bed and expecting purrs of delight I plonked said cat in.....got that death stare that says 'what the heck do you think you are doing' and the ungrateful creature very slowly and deliberately crawled out of the pawsh new bed, hopped into the cardboard box settled down and went to sleep! Cats!!! :(

Ah, that's where you went wrong. It has to be his idea! :rotfl:
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• C_JC_J Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I’d suggest stroking the cat with a small towel, then wiping the towel all over the new cat bed so it smells familiar to him.
  • Hello everyone! I have been catching up on all of your goodies for the past few days and they all sound fantastic. Miro- you have done really well over the past few months. I am jealous of your goodies! I hope you feel better Pollycat and you are able to go out on the prowl soon!

I returned home for a bit of RnR before my exam on the 10th June and I decided to go into Banardo's and Sue Ryder in Wickford on a bit of a whim. It ended up being a good decision.

From Sue Ryder:
    An oval, shabby chic mirror- £3.50. I was very happy with this as it matches a vintage wood jewellery box that I bought and repainted with white chalk paint a few months ago in the same charity shop. I am going to customise it by picking out the details with my silver gilding wax.
    A very nice quality navy gilet from Gill Marine- £5.25. This was in perfect condition and would have been very expensive brand new (a less fancy one is £99 on the website!!!). This will allow me to live my country walk fantasies so I am delighted.
    A NWT blue stripe off the shoulder blouse from Next- £3.75. Not too exciting but it is pretty.

From Banardo's:
    A navy, long-length Cos cardigan with textured panels in the front- £3.50. Not terribly exciting, but it is quite flattering over my generous hips.
    An iridescent white Oliver Bonas blouse with a V back and puffy sleeves- £3. I love this, it's very feminine.
    A knee length, A-line skirt in black from Max Mara Studio- £2 (!!!!). This is honestly the piece de resistance! My only concern is how to wash this now as it's fully lined and in a suit type fabric. I don't want to ruin it in the washing machine!

I will go and check the other two charity shops in town today!
  • PotternerdPotternerd Forumite
    156 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts
    3 Le Creuset cobalt blue ramekins for 1.50 in Sue Ryder, a beaten metal silver coloured bangle 79p and a White Stuff metallic suede shoulder bag £4.99 both in Oxfam. The bag is a bit grubby but I think I can restore it.