New Post Advanced Search

Help!! Bought a car previously purchased using a stolen credit card

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
28 replies 2.2K views
Aqeel_RahmanAqeel_Rahman Forumite
10 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
HELP HELP HELP

I bought a car easter sunday and i did a HPI check, matched the V5 to the car and HPI report, I saw a passport of the previous keeper with the same name as the V5 and also found a receipt for the previous owner from the ‘Dealer’ he bought it from with the previous keepers name and address on it and saying it was ‘paid in full on debit card’ and I paid by bank transfer.

The V5 has arrived in my name and 3 weeks later i was stopped by the Police who siezed the car and said the car was reported stolen on the 8th of May, by the ‘Dealer’ as a fraudlent credit card was used to purchase it and the funds had been retracted from his bank.

The date the car was logged as stolen was the same date the previous keeper obtained the vehicle however the marker was put on on 8th may 3 weeks after i bought it so at the time it was HPI clear.

The chaps i bought the car off still answer the phone and say ‘what are you talking about’! And the police simply have said nothing its been a week!!

What will happen to the car?

where do i stand?

Replies

• agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the legal position regarding the car but I think you should be looking into starting a small claim against the seller in case the car isn't returned to you.
  • waamowaamo Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    What have the police said? Have they seized it as part of an ongoing criminal investigation or have they returned it to the previous owner?
    This space for hire.
  • All the Police have said that its a stolen car and they will be returning its owner.

I think the dealer and the guys i bought it off maybe in on a scam together. A respinsible dealer would never let anyone pay £6700 without chip and pin validation.

But there was no possible way for me to prevent this happening. I bought the car with good eill and did all the appropriate checks and even paid by bank trasfer.

The bank have written me a letter saying they cant refund me?

What is a small claims court and how sucessful will it be getting my money back?
  • At the moment it is just seized and sat in a compound. I think they might return it to the previous owner
  • edited 17 May 2019 at 5:56PM
    hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 May 2019 at 5:56PM
    You need to discuss it with the police officer who's dealing.
    Why didn't someone just come round to your house to get the car?
    The dealer had your details.
  • waamowaamo Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    At the moment it is just seized and sat in a compound. I think they might return it to the previous owner

This is a bit confusing. The person you paid bought it off a dealer with a stolen credit card is that correct?

The police have seized and have stated they will return it to the owner. I'm guessing this is the dealer is that correct?

Has the person using the stolen card been arrested?
    This space for hire.
  • Yes thats correct the person i bought it off paid on a stolen credit card ‘apparentley’?

But the car was reported stolen 2 months after the dealer sold the previous keeper the car and about 3 weeks after i bought it.

Yes, their saying the car will do back to the dealer and no no ones arrested this guy?
  • hollydays wrote: »
    You need to discuss it with the police officer who's dealing.
    Why didn't someone just come round to your house to get the car?
    The dealer had your details.

I dont know maybe because i was on my way back from work in the car and it hit an ANPR camera and the police were in the area?

A police officer has been allocated to the case today.
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    All the Police have said that its a stolen car and they will be returning its owner.

I think the dealer and the guys i bought it off maybe in on a scam together. A respinsible dealer would never let anyone pay £6700 without chip and pin validation.

But there was no possible way for me to prevent this happening. I bought the car with good eill and did all the appropriate checks and even paid by bank trasfer.

The bank have written me a letter saying they cant refund me?

What is a small claims court and how sucessful will it be getting my money back?

the person using the stolen card may also have known the PIN.
  • brisbris Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Certain things don't make sense here.

The dealers were negligent if they didn't get chip and pin so any chargeback would have failed. Anyone with a proper merchant services account knows this.

If they did get chip and pin verification then the dealer would win the chargeback and the bank takes the hit and opens their own investigation.

You may be an innocent purchaser but you need real help from a proper legal adviser. A lot of things come into play with an innocent purchaser such as known the person you bought it off or was the car a bargain, these things can trip you up.