Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

Elite: Is this table taken please? - Page 825

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Elite: Is this table taken please?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
15.3K replies 574.6K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Savvybuyer wrote: »
    The F words in non-literal sense (in frustration at their computer screen freezing) or as an intensifier that fails to intensify but emphasises or modifies instead seem to be fine at my old place - no-one saying anything about them at all or seemingly having any problem with them. No, instead, it is words one of which Collins Dictionary removed the taboo label from in 2004, changed to mark just as slang and continues to claim is now "acceptable in speech although some older or more conservative people may object to it" that provoke the "uh, too much information" from one of my fairly young female colleagues and another, which I used to say freely in front of my mother when she was still with me, which a different female colleague once made a gesture to and said it was "low" when we were out at a pub and one of my male colleagues happened to say it, to which he responded with a brief "sorry" and then moved straight on to something else.

So words the dictionary now claims are acceptable and which I can say in front of my mother (I was always using the one the dictionary still marks as taboo but not the one it now claims is acceptable) are the ones that provoke the objections from my colleagues. I think it is because they are fine with 'general swearing', including what is claimed to be "the most offensive language" by the communications regulator, apparently in reliance on the response to a question that asked "Do you agree?" and therefore is unreliable as it suffers from statistical bias (acquiescence bias), but instead the literal use of words in contexts that describe specific sexual acts is what gets objected to - even if the words are ordinarily not considered the strongest but in those contexts, by being objected to, are therefore more offensive than 'the most offensive' language which does not get objected to.

I bet Ofcom staff use "the most offensive language" when they are in their offices and the computers are on a go-slow.

I wonder which ISP they are with. :cool:
    Maybe a request under FOI might tell us ..... ;)
  • tweetstweets Forumite
    35.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleazy wrote: »
    Well got one so called answer at least.

Come on ladies, I can wait ages you know ;)
    Us men are used to waiting around for the [STRIKE]difficult[/STRIKE] fairer sex aren't we Savvy? Apologies if there are any other gents here, but me, savvy and Marmie (who don't show his monkey chops lately) are the only ones I'm sure of .... even though I did refer to Enterprise as a chap once :rotfl:

In a galaxy far, far away ... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

You mean us ladies waiting for you men make up your minds ;)

I can be very crafty when need be but can also be an :A
  • edited 16 May 2019 at 10:11PM
    SavvybuyerSavvybuyer Forumite
    22.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 May 2019 at 10:11PM
    Sleazy wrote: »
    Well got one so called answer at least.

Come on ladies, I can wait ages you know ;)
    Us men are used to waiting around for the [STRIKE]difficult[/STRIKE] fairer sex aren't we Savvy? Apologies if there are any other gents here, but me, savvy and Marmie (who don't show his monkey chops lately) are the only ones I'm sure of .... even though I did refer to Enterprise as a chap once :rotfl:

In a galaxy far, far away ... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

To be fair, I have waited around for people regardless of their gender that have said meet up at 7pm which then turned out to mean 7.18pm:doh: and - shock horror - have even had no-shows in the past. I'm the one that turns up later than they say now so that I have less waiting around.

In fact, I am now off to a pub - but you've reminded me that I am no longer going to another pub at all. They've kept me waiting for my dessert on three separate occasions now. I complained after the first time and, when I visited again, it seemed to make the situation worse - I was kept waiting on a second occasion for even longer and I suspected that they were doing it deliberately* although I could not prove that it was - nonetheless I said nothing about it - I reminded them we were waiting and they apologised and the meal soon came (after we had been waiting over half an hour before plucking up the courage to say we haven't had our dessert yet) and I gave them the benefit of the doubt and returned to their place again later.

Last time - now a couple of months ago since I am never going back again (and haven't told them anything) - they kept us waiting again. When I finally decided to say we haven't had our dessert yet, it came and the waitress apologised, this time claiming that the message hadn't been passed back. I'm sorry - I don't believe them, I think they are doing it deliberately and, having kept us waiting for over half an hour on three separate occasions, I am not going back again. The reason is they come out and serve all other people first even though they have just taken their meals away - I think they are missing us out and making us wait longer. See you later - I am off elsewhere (shame as it's a rare visit as the other place is a slightly longer journey out but I'm not the person that needs to visit pubs and social venues very often anyway).

*In my previous naivety, I could not have ever believed people would do things deliberately but trusted any explanation they gave. However, after having had an adviser claim that a particular organisation was doing things deliberately - who deals with them regularly and they must know - "they do these things deliberately" she told me - it is now clear to me that I was being very naïve indeed. As such, I can no longer trust that the pub staff are actually accidentally forgetting about us or that it is because someone hasn't passed the message on - it is too much to be a coincidence at this stage and I think it is deliberate. Again, we can never prove these things but I don't accept the waitress' last assertion because people generally lie so much. Even if what seems to be their lame excuse to me is true - they claimed much the same the previous time and, whilst half in a thought of "yeah, pull the other one", I gave them the doubt - I've had enough with them keeping me waiting and I'm not standing for it, they've lost my custom completely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I hope you have a nice evening Savvy. :)
  • Enterprise_1701CEnterprise_1701C Forumite
    23.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've arrived! Been busy catching up on my accounts.

OH had his nose put out today, said to him I reckoned I could do the Cat5 terminating and showed him on a patch panel we had spare. Today we went to a client's and I was terminating on the patch panel and he was doing the modules, I finished before he did, and it all tested perfect first time :D

As for cars, I know nothing. I know OHs car is blue, think it is a Ford. If I am asked to describe a car I normally manage the colour and how many doors. Cars mean nothing to me, especially as I don't drive.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • For my friends Mr and Mrs Bubbs

• edited 16 May 2019 at 9:15PM
    tweetstweets Forumite
    35.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 May 2019 at 9:15PM

OH had his nose put out today, said to him I reckoned I could do the Cat5 terminating and showed him on a patch panel we had spare. Today we went to a client's and I was terminating on the patch panel and he was doing the modules, I finished before he did, and it all tested perfect first time :D

As for cars, I know nothing. I know OHs car is blue, think it is a Ford. If I am asked to describe a car I normally manage the colour and how many doors. Cars mean nothing to me, especially as I don't drive.

Well done on the job :T:T:T

I am :mad: with candy cant do level 4747 had over 300 goes and get no nearer doesn't help having no spare candies :mad: will pack in after I struggled to get terminus beg week now cant move grrrrrrrrrrr

Pays to moan done it first go after :)
  • bubbsbubbs Forumite
    61.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Bansky wrote: »
    For my friends Mr and Mrs Bubbs

Well here is Mr Banksy :rotfl::rotfl: an why thankyou, how are you?:p
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D
    ::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • bubbsbubbs Forumite
    61.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well done E:T:T:T
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D
    ::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • Enterprise_1701CEnterprise_1701C Forumite
    23.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tweets wrote: »
    Well done on the job :T:T:T

I am :mad: with candy cant do level 4747 had over 300 goes and get no nearer doesn't help having no spare candies :mad: will pack in after I struggled to get terminus beg week now cant move grrrrrrrrrrr

Pays to moan done it first go after :)

I took ages on 4747 too :mad: I'd better look out behind me now then, you are not far off!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare