New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Dollars to Euros

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
5 replies 715 views
buyhighselllowbuyhighselllow Forumite
172 posts
Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
I have a surplus of dollars I no longer need and an imminent trip to Europe. What would be the best way to convert these ? Usually get my currency from Sainsburys, should I take them in and get them to exchange or would I be better changing them at the Airport on arrival in Spain ?
Over £2K made from bank switches and P2P incentives since 2016 :beer:

Replies

• edited 13 May 2019 at 1:30PM
    pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 May 2019 at 1:30PM
    Why do you want to use a shonky company that went bust years ago..?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2772168
  • buyhighselllowbuyhighselllow Forumite
    172 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I've clearly posted this on the wrong thread by mistake
    Over £2K made from bank switches and P2P incentives since 2016 :beer:
  • heatherw_01heatherw_01 Forumite, Board Guide
    6.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [email protected].
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a surplus of dollars I no longer need and an imminent trip to Europe. What would be the best way to convert these ? Usually get my currency from Sainsburys, should I take them in and get them to exchange or would I be better changing them at the Airport on arrival in Spain ?

When we go to Paphos (Cyprus) there are many of the 'tacky tourist shops' that will exchange cash.
    Are there likely to be something similar where you are going?
  • Neil49Neil49 Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Changing the dollars in the UK is a bad idea as they will convert the dollars to £ and then the £ to euro (and take a profit on both conversions).

Wait until you get Spain and find a currency exchange in your resort that gives you a decent rate of exchange. Don't waste your time exchanging at the Spanish airport if you want a decent rate.

If you need some euro on arrival in Spain then to get a decent euro rate you should be using a Starling card (or a Halifax Clarity credit card).