Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms» Funny Money

It's aitch not haitch - Page 94

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

It's aitch not haitch

edited 6 October 2017 at 1:02PM in Funny Money
1.1K replies 194.5K views

Replies

• NBLondonNBLondon Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    0526 hours doesn't need the colon - you'd think a military chap like Harry would know that...

06 May, 2019 looks to me like a default setting/ auto correction from Microsoft Word being used. I'd say 6 May 2019 or 6th May 2019 are fine but May 6th, 2019 with a comma.

The US/UK thing is more troublesome in all numbers - 06/05/19 here, 05/06/19 there (and 19/05/06 in other parts of the world). One of my teachers would have written it 5.vi.2019 to make it clear which was the month - don't know if that was an archaic version or how he was taught in his schooldays or just him being eccentric.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • pollypennypollypenny Forumite
    28.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always dinned into my classes that they should write the month in full to avoid any American/British confusion.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • DippypudDippypud Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭
    Morbier wrote: »
    Similarly - "can I lend your pencil?" when it should have been "can I borrow your pencil?" I'm tempted to reply, "No, you can't lend my pencil, I'll decide who I lend my pencil to." (Or even 'to whom I'll lend my pencil' if I'm being really picky). :D

Surely, it should be 'may I borrow a pencil ?'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
    3.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed - "May I?" asks permission - "Can I?" asks about possibility or ability. Thus:

Can I borrow a pencil?
    Yes you can.
    [Pause]
    Where is it then?
    I don't have a pencil.
    You said I could borrow one!
    Yes - you can. But not from me as I don't have one.
  • purpoisepurpoise Forumite
    122 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I was screaming at the radio again this morning.
    Val mcDermid, of all people (she is a writer) used the phrase, "when I was little....".
    What's wrong with, "when I was young?" Why conflate size with naivete?
    I'm sure Warwick Davis has never once said, "When I was little...."
  • pollypennypollypenny Forumite
    28.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried to quote purpoise's post, but the screen came out stretched with minute print.

I don't have any problem with it Val McDermid's use of 'when I was little.' That means she was a child. 'Young' could suggest in her 20s/30s.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    3.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sort of... Yes - "when I was young" could mean teens or 20s from the perspective of a person in their 50s "When I was little" is possibly a contraction of "When I was a little girl" which implies under about 12.

I'd say "when I was a child" or "When I was a teenager" would be more specific.
  • RobisereRobisere Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Pedants' Revolt appears to have commenced.....

Meanwhile: Morbier - " (Yes, I know there should be an acute accent over the first 'e' in Academie but all I get is an exclamation mark) "

Have you tried the Microsoft Character Map? Available to install in Win7, don't know about 10. Trying it -
    Acad!mie - no doesn't work, sorry!:(
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • MorbierMorbier Forumite
    571 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Robisere wrote: »
    The Pedants' Revolt appears to have commenced.....

Meanwhile: Morbier - " (Yes, I know there should be an acute accent over the first 'e' in Academie but all I get is an exclamation mark) "

Have you tried the Microsoft Character Map? Available to install in Win7, don't know about 10. Trying it -
    Acad!mie - no doesn't work, sorry!:(

Thanks for the attempt at helping me. I'm happy to say that I gave up Windows years ago and am now a confirmed Apple addict. However there is an equivalent to the Character Map. I'm on my iPad at the moment and, even though I used the 'e' with an accute accent, it didn't work. I'll have a go on my laptop and let you know. I suspect it's the MSE gremlin.
    I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater)
  • purpoisepurpoise Forumite
    122 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Just for argument's sake, Val could be talking sizist, referring to a time before she gained weight.