Replies

• edited 10 May 2019 at 2:03PM
    BenightBenight Forumite
    418 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 10 May 2019 at 2:03PM
    animel71 wrote: »
    Hi, so the court will be in Manchester. After my original post regarding 247 taking money from my account for no apparent reason we had further problems, Our boiler broke down and they asked for copy of last service, I said they should have this as we had boiler cover with them the year before, in actual fact they hadn't carried out the annual boiler service that was part of the boiler cover agreement. A lot of chasing them, being told our boiler was 'BER', having to pay the £75, they came out, got it up and running and then had to condemn it as there were cracks in the flue. We'd had a 36 point boiler check with npower just before going with 247 and that was 100%.

Complaint after complaint to which I never received a reply, I put a review on trust pilot, Sam from their social media team advised I correspond with him/her, which I did, no reply. (sorry, I thought it was the same social media address as the one given on this forum but it's actually a different person). Tried European online dispute resolution scheme, they never replied. Claimed for money back through HM Court and Tribunals,(I think I paid £60 court fee for this but you get this back if you win your claim, the system also allows you to claim interest on
    the money they owe you), went to mediation, no resolution, now going to court. We are claiming for a lot more money now, you get all your fees back if you win the case (bar the final £80 paid).

I had logged into this forum recently when I received the court date to see if there were many further complaints about them and noticed that they'd replied to my original post.

Regarding the original payments they had taken from me, after about 12 months, they stated it was for boiler cover that I had at another address, I stated I don't have another address so I just cancelled the direct debit but they have never refunded me for the 4 payments that they took.

When is the your court hearing date?

If I understand you correctly, you are claiming the refund of 4 monthly payments that were made (£16.23 per month) before you cancelled your Direct Debit mandate, as you claim these were not due because you had cancelled the policy under the cooling off procedure (a cancellation that is apparently disputed by the defendant)

So that is a claim for £64.92

How did that accrue a court cost of £60 to make that claim? :huh:

What was the other £80 court fees you refer to? Why will you not get that back even if you win your claim?
  • edited 10 May 2019 at 4:35PM
    BenightBenight Forumite
    418 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 10 May 2019 at 4:35PM
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    No................they settled in days of the claim being filed. If not they have to turn up at court ....

You have edited your previous post.

but in response to this latest one, not necessarily.

They can file a defence, or admit the claim in part.
    It's then up to the court to assess the claim, or any part thereof unsettled, and the defence offered to decide if there needs to be a hearing.

Or maybe the court recommends mediation. (often done by phone)

If there is to be a hearing, then there is an additional cost you as the complainant would need to pay. (and then parties would need to attend)

Or the court can give judgement without a hearing (unusual), but perhaps believes the claim, or even less often at this stage, the defence to be without merit.
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    If they don't turn up...............I would still win.

Again, not necessarily.

You still have to prove your case to the required burden of proof.
    But as that standard is one of being more probable than not, and with no one countering the claim at the hearing, that standard is often easily met by the time the case gets to a hearing, but not always.
  • animel71animel71 Forumite
    9 posts
    First Post First Anniversary
    Oh, that's very helpful, thanks for letting me know , :-)
  • RoxyG_2RoxyG_2 Forumite
    1 posts
    Thank you for your post. I will follow your advise and take 24/7 HR to Court.
    alibee23 wrote: »
    For all those that have got nowhere with this company`s claims proceedure, and exhausted all their dispute proceedures,which incidently are a disgrace, simply logon to Money Claims On Line (MCOL). For around £35.00 if the claim is less than £1000, you can set up a case in the small claims court. Make sure you fill in all the forms correctly and provide the court with all the information that they will request once the claim becomes active. In my case as I represented myself the court was sympathetic to me with regard to the fact that I should have sent more information at the outset , but they did allow the case to proceed. (There is help if you are not sure what to do). Make sure you have everything written down and keep all relevant invoices and documents to hand as you are required to make a statement to the presiding judge, and they will need to be viewed .Depending on your location you will be given a choice of courts,however the final choice on venue will be decided by the tribunals service and you may have to travel a short distance .If you feel intimidated by representing yourself the proccedure is very low key and usually in a small room rather than a large court.As I stated in my first post you may have a barrister representing 247 Home Rescue to oppose you, but as i proved if you present an honest account to the court you will win. I feel sure in time 247 Home Rescue will take a more pragmatic view and hopefully settle most cases out of court rather than risk losing financially and more importantly their already tarnished reputation.
  • MojoukMojouk Forumite
    1 posts
    Purchased a comprehensive policy and was told by the sales guy that my 15 year old boiler was covered. When i went to make a claim i was told it is not covered and would need to pay a callout fee. wehn i tried to cancel they tell me i cant because im tied in for one year even though their email explicitly states that it is a 30 day rolling contract? to make matters worse, they have charged me for a Service which they did not carry out and charged for adding inhibitor which they did not do and now refusing to refund the money. this is a cowboy outfit so avoid!!!
  • 247homerescue247homerescue Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    128 posts
    Dear Roxy G,

We regret to acknowledge that you may have some cause for dissatisfaction. However, we are unable to look into your concerns further without obtaining a relevant reference number to a past or present agreement with us.

We endeavour to provide a thorough investigation upon receipt of any grievance in the hope that we might arrive at a satisfactory resolution.

Please contact me directly at [email protected].

Kind regards,
    Alice Roberts
    Social Media Advisor

Verified Company
    We are verified representatives of 247 Homerescue. MSE has given permission for us to post in response to queries about the company so that we can help solve issues. You can see our name on the Verified Companies list. We are not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe we are, please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of the company or its products by MSE.
  • 247homerescue247homerescue Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    128 posts
    Dear Mojouk,

We regret to acknowledge that you may have some cause for dissatisfaction. However, we are unable to look into your concerns further without obtaining a relevant reference number to a past or present agreement with us.

We endeavour to provide a thorough investigation upon receipt of any grievance in the hope that we might arrive at a satisfactory resolution.

Kind regards,
    Alice Roberts
    Social Media Advisor

Verified Company
    We are verified representatives of 247 Homerescue. MSE has given permission for us to post in response to queries about the company so that we can help solve issues. You can see our name on the Verified Companies list. We are not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe we are, please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of the company or its products by MSE.
  • edited 9 July 2019 at 11:22PM
    SMOGGYSMOGGY Forumite
    8 posts
    edited 9 July 2019 at 11:22PM
    Your review e.
    128 posts
    Dear Smoggy,

Kind regards,
    Alice Roberts
    Social Media Advisor
    Social Media Advisor

Verified Company
  • Avoid this company like the plague!

How this company has achieved 4 stars on Trustpilot is beyond me. They are a scam. Their whole aim seems to be to rip off their customers. At first glance they are cheap. That's what sucks you in. The welcoming letter says one thing - "parts and labour included", "no charges for parts", "no charges for labour", "monthly rolling contract - don't get tied down with long term contracts" … "we are so confident in our level of customer service that we don't need contracts to keep customers!" - but the T&Cs say something completely different. Pretty much everything is excluded and there is a charge for almost everything. And if you try to leave the contract, once you've had a boiler service, you find you are tied in until the end or a leaving charge of £140 is levied!
    My experience: my boiler service was due and it was arranged. There had been no faults or anything to claim for before then. It worked perfectly. The engineer came - a nice lad - and a couple of days later two documents arrived. The first was a summary of what had been checked, with no faults notified. The second was the gas safety record. As it happened, signed by a different engineer. Why? This raised my suspicions. A couple of days after that, we discovered we could not run enough hot water for a bath. After a few minutes the boiler would cut out. This was a NEW fault. Initially the person on the customer service desk wanted to charge me £45 XS to call the engineer out. Eventually, the following day, at my request, a supervisor called back and agreed that the engineer should come back as a recall visit, as the problem manifested itself soon after his service. The same lad arrived - nice fella - and was unable to pin down the problem … "it might be this, it might be that" but he would order some parts anyway. The next day I called customer services to get an update and was informed that 2 of the parts were free (a couple of small seals) but the main bit - a heating plate - I would have to pay for - £150. If I read the T&Cs carefully, I would see that the fault was not covered … even though the engineer had not actually identified exactly what the issue was. This was enough for me: all the negative reviews I had read (on other sites), stupidly after signing up to 24 7, were being borne out in spades. So, I rang up to cancel my contract. Guess what? Despite the front page blurb saying I was on a monthly contract, the small print of the T&Cs made it clear that, having had the service, I was tied in for the remainder of the 12 months unless I forked out £140. I used BG Homecare and latterly Homeserve for years - they were both excellent but I thought when I came to renew a little expensive, so I decided to go with 24/7. False economy. What a mistake. You undoubtedly get what you pay for. DO NOT USE 24/7. They will rip you off.
    I posted this same review on Trustpilot and got this reply from 24 7.

"Having reviewed events transpired, I can confirm that whilst in attendance to conduct a routine Boiler Service and Site Survey, our Engineer identified a pre-existing fault (NO HE DID NOT … IN FACT HE COULD NOT CONFIRM WHAT THE FAULT WAS. THE FAULT WAS NOT EVIDENT UNTIL AFTER HIS SERVICE VISIT. HE ORDERED THE PARTS EVEN THOUGH HE WAS NOT SURE WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS) and duly recommended the need for remedial work. In accordance with the terms and conditions issued upon initiation of your policy; as the issue was highlighted during a Service (NO IT WAS NOT … IT WAS REPORTED BY ME AFTER THE SERVICE AND INVESTIGATED - UNSUCCESSFULLY - BY THE SAME ENGINEER IN A FOLLOW UP VISIT); you would therefore be considered responsible for any costs which may coincide with a repair. IT SEEMS WITH 24 7 YOU ARE RSEPONSIBLE FOR PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING. WHAT IS THE POINT IN HAVING THE INSURANCE, WHEN YOU AE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY FOR IT ANYWAY?

In relation to the Gas Safety report. Your comments have been immediately reiterated to the relevant team who have confirmed that the name on this report is in fact that of the attending Engineer. NO IT IS NOT. I HAVE THE DOCUMENTS TO PROVE IT.

To address your query in regards to the excess requested. Please be advised that you opted to enter into an agreement which included a mandatory excess. (NO ARGUMENT THERE, EXCEPT THAT I STUPIDLY ASSUMED THAT THE EXCESS WOULD BE PAID WHEN THE FAULT WAS REPAIRED; NOT JUST TO GET THE ENGINEER TO ATTEND AND THEN HAVE TO PAY THE COST OF THE PART FOR THE REPAIR AS WELL). This excess coincided with a deduction in your monthly premium and is payable prior to an Engineer's attendance. However, I can confirm that on this occasion, we agreed to waive the fee as a gesture of good will. THEN PROCEEDED TO GOUGE £150 OUT OF ME FOR A PART THAT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN NEEDED).

Upon assessing the circumstances, you were advised that we would cover 2 of the 3 parts needed to implement the repair. However; as previously stated- remedial work is not covered by your agreement and you would therefore be required to cover the cost of the heating plate. HIGHLY DEBATEABLE. SEE MY COMMENTS ABOVE.

I regret to acknowledge that you declined our assistance in this instance and submitted a request to terminate your contract. … AND WAS TOLD IT WOULD COST ME £140 TO DO SO! Should you be so willing, I would implore you to contact me directly at [email protected] in the hope that we might arrive at a satisfactory resolution for both parties.

Kind regards,
    Alice Roberts
    Social media"

BEWARE! The promises in 24 7's introductory letter are highly misleading. They bear no relation to what is in the T&Cs. Read the T&Cs extremely carefully (I didn't, more fool me). If you do, I think you'll come to the conclusion that it would be wiser to go with another company.