Sheltered Housing Local Authority Criteria

edited 9 May 2019 at 9:05AM in Disability Money Matters
17 replies 2K views
2»

Replies

• Green_garnetGreen_garnet Forumite
    61 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    It shouldn't matter if you have a physical disability or learning/mental health disability. It used to go on if you received mid/high rate DLA you met the criteria for sheltered housing. Back in 2005 when I got my first bungalow on a sheltered housing area I met the criteria as I got high rate DLA for a learning disability. The council didn't do a in-depth assessment at all. This was before bidding for properties and I got offered a bungalow which I took (it was a mistake at the time as I was the youngest on the street by 30 years and I become isolated) I don't know if they operate the DLA criteria now but I should think they still do?

Have you looked into housing association in your area.. They have properties / complex/flats/bungalows for people with disabilities. They might be more available than council properties.

It is an elderly person with longstanding mental health. I just feel sorry they are feellng brushed off. As I mentioned - it does not seem quite right to me not to be more 'included' at assessment. I must be wrong but I really thought this 'disadvantage' because of mental health would not be allowed - especially in a Local Authority Sheltered Housing.

I only have limited information and don't know if any other option is available.

I hope you are happy with your housing.

Thanks for replying.

Green garnet
  • PrinzessileinPrinzessilein Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I live in sheltered housing...I am a good few years off the 'usual' age for this particular place , but I was granted a place because it was the most appropriate way to meet my physical disability needs.

Whilst I also have mental health conditions, these did not give me extra 'points' on the housing criteria. In fact, sheltered housing is NOT considered as an option for more serious mental health issues in this are, as we no longer have live-in wardens. (We have wardens who come in Monday-Friday for a set number of hours).

Perhaps the OP's mother would find her needs better met in some sort of residential care? ...Or would regular carer visits allow her to stay in her own home?...I think a full needs assessment is advisable.
  • edited 11 May 2019 at 5:32AM
    Green_garnetGreen_garnet Forumite
    61 posts
    edited 11 May 2019 at 5:32AM
    Thanks Prinzessilein. As far as I know (not privy to all the information though) it is not a major psychotic type of illness - more longstanding not curable but treatable type of mental health - with some relapses. The person is, when well enough, out and about most days and has regular out patient appointments.

It just seems a pity that the elderly person really does feel brushed off and considered less in need than folks with other health (physical) problems who have priority. I guess it is 'the system.' Thank you for replying.

Green garnet
  • Bananas123Bananas123 Forumite
    311 posts
    told others with physical disabilities will always have more points and priority.
    the above is highly discriminatory BUT
    The person is, when well enough, out and about most days and has regular out patient appointments.
    pretty sure sheltered accommadation is for people with less functioning then the above statement...
  • K80_BlackK80_Black Forumite
    467 posts
    ✭✭
    There are supported accommodation places run by charities in many areas - I live in a flat run by one, and it's totally covered by my housing benefit. I am on the lowest tier of support, which involves a home visit once a week, but they also have accommodation with 24hr live in staff and a things in between. This might be an option if the council aren't helpful? Mine was recommended to me by my mental health team after I struggled to keep a normal tenancy - I'd get them to speak to their social worker, this sort of thing is right up their alley!
  • Green_garnetGreen_garnet Forumite
    61 posts
    Bananas123 wrote: »
    the above is highly discriminatory BUT

pretty sure sheltered accommadation is for people with less functioning then the above statement...

Just out of interest, Bananas, I also think it is discriminatory but in what way and how to demonstrate it? I have stepped back a bit from the situation (did my best to find out if it was allowed and failed.)

It seems to be that Local Authorities set their own critetia when allocating places. Are there set guidelines or anything to show that it is not right or fair?

Thanks.
    Green garnet
  • TowserTowser Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    At what age can you put your name on the waiting list?