Forum Home» Public Transport & Cycling

Massive Secret Train fare Increase by South Eastern Rail? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Massive Secret Train fare Increase by South Eastern Rail?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
16 replies 2.1K views
2»

Replies

• prowlaprowla Forumite
    11.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no such thing as an off peak train.

Different tickets have different restriction codes showing on them. You go to the national rail website to look up what trains that restriction code allows you to use.

Or just use the national rail journey planner which will show you the ticket cost based on the journey you've selected.
    I think you knew that the term "off peak" refers to train journeys for which you can use an off-peak ticket. ;)
  • sconesscones Forumite
    58 posts
    OK, I was getting confused trying to understand the detail so have looked it all up.

For reference, the undiscounted day return, standard class fares from Otford to Swanley are:
    £9.40 Anytime Day Return, valid anytime
    £5.10 Off-Peak Day Return, with validity code 'B1'
    The B1 restriction, as detailed officially at https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/B1 prohibits use before 0930.

The OP's situation is complicated by the use of the Senior Railcard. This theoretically reduces the fares to £6.20 anytime or £3.35 off-peak.

However, the Senior Railcard conditions state that it is not valid during the morning peak for travel in South East England. The guidance on the Railcard website says that this peak restriction usually aligns with the validity of Off-Peak Day Return tickets. So, the options for the OP correctly appear to be an undiscounted anytime ticket for £9.40 or an off-peak, discounted fare for £3.35 with a straightforward cut-off time of 0930 on weekdays.

Looking at an archived version of the webpage from last August shows the same 0930 cutoff against the B1 code back then. So, on balance, it looks like may have been some misunderstanding or incorrect advice regarding restrictions in the past rather than a sudden change in off peak times. However there's a slim chance that a different validity code applied for that journey in the past - only Southeastern could confirm that for sure.
  • jbuchanangbjbuchanangb Forumite
    509 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I will add to this that if the OP must travel on the 09.26 then the best deal is an Anytime Day Single for £4.90, coming back with an Anytime Day Single with Railcard Discount for £3.25, giving a total cost of £8.15. Senior Railcard discounts have not been available before 9.30 in the south east for as long as I can remember, and the OP is indeed fortunate that he has not been challenged when travelling on the 09.26. As I lived in the south east I was actually astonished recently when I found that in Birmingham I could get Railcard discount before 9.30am, albeit applied to an Anytime fare!
  • NeilCrNeilCr Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will add to this that if the OP must travel on the 09.26 then the best deal is an Anytime Day Single for £4.90, coming back with an Anytime Day Single with Railcard Discount for £3.25, giving a total cost of £8.15. Senior Railcard discounts have not been available before 9.30 in the south east for as long as I can remember, and the OP is indeed fortunate that he has not been challenged when travelling on the 09.26. As I lived in the south east I was actually astonished recently when I found that in Birmingham I could get Railcard discount before 9.30am, albeit applied to an Anytime fare!

Doesn't that depend where you live?

I am in Ramsgate and can use my Senior Railcard for a number of trains departing before 9.30. Including the 9.03 to St Pancras (very useful).
  • tehonetehone Forumite
    438 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    The actuals restriction is
    Your Senior Railcard is NOT valid when travelling between two stations inside London and the South East area during morning peak time.
  • jbuchanangbjbuchanangb Forumite
    509 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    But according to https://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/help/faqs/135/
    The times of morning off-peak services do vary by route and are normally related to the availability of Off Peak Day tickets. It's best to check with ticket office staff before buying your tickets.