New Post Advanced Search

Debenhams falls into administration - MSE News

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
20 replies 5.3K views
2»

Replies

• clairenwclairenw Forumite
    17 posts
    I have just taken out car insurance with Debenhams. Will the insurance still stand for the rest of the 12 months?
  • POPPYOSCARPOPPYOSCAR Forumite
    14.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucyjoanne wrote: »
    I’m guessing new day will transfer you to a card of their own, as they only supply the card and credit that Debenhams sells. They’ll also offer you a chance to cancel your card. There’s a helpline on the card, or on your account website.

As for the vouchers with your statements, they usually have a ‘use-by date’ that is a few months, so customers usually use them in that time, and I can’t see Debenhams refusing to accept them, or going under in such a short time,

I used my reward voucher, e gift voucher and my card with no problem yesterday.

It would appear, at least for the time being that nothing has actually changed other than the ownership of Debenhams.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    23.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My granddaughter applied for, and was offered, part time uni jobs at both Debenhams and Primark, luckily she chose the right one ;)
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    only the Company [Debenhams plc] (which was the Group’s top holding company) is in administration - the Group’s operating companies, including Debenhams Retail Ltd and Magasin Du Nord, continue to trade as normal. The Group’s commercial relationships with suppliers, employees, pension and customers are all with the operating companies.

https://ir.debenhams.com/

In the short term it appears that things are carrying on as normal. In the longer term, who knows...
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    39.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    clairenw wrote: »
    I have just taken out car insurance with Debenhams. Will the insurance still stand for the rest of the 12 months?

You will be fine, Debenhams wont actually themselves provide the cover, if you read your policy or cover notice it will say who the policy is underwritten by, yours will be the same.
  • AlexlandAlexland Forumite
    6.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just wondering if they will still replace our "bag for life" when it becomes worn out?
  • prmhighprmhigh Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Ive just ordered online approx £400 family clothing , mostly from franchises .some will maybe need returning .If Debenhams stops issuing refunds will I be able to return direct to the franchise for refund ?
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    29K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.        
  • edited 7 April at 11:34AM
    PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 April at 11:34AM
    prmhigh said:
    Ive just ordered online approx £400 family clothing , mostly from franchises .some will maybe need returning .If Debenhams stops issuing refunds will I be able to return direct to the franchise for refund ?

Oh dear.
    Were you not aware of the precarious position that Debenhams were in?

Debenhams, the department store chain, is facing administration for a second time.

The retailer is set to appoint administrators as early next week to protect the company against claims from creditors as it tries to restructure its business.

Debenhams has already closed 22 stores this year and plans to shut a further 28 in 2021.

3rd April 2020

Although under 'normal' circumstances you can't return items bought in Debenhams from franchises, maybe under these very far from normal times we are living through, there may be some leeway once shops are open again.
    But I wouldn't bank on being able to return a dress (for example) to a Wallis shop that you ordered online from Debenhams - Debenhams have your money, not Wallis.
    ETA:
    Debenhams have some info on their website:

Recent Media Coverage

You may have seen recent news reports about Debenhams. We'd like to reassure you that we're continuing to trade as usual. We're still taking & delivering orders. We're still accepting Gift Card payments & processing online returns.

They also say this about returns:

Returns

To help at this uncertain time, we've extended our returns policy. We'll now be accepting late returns up to 14 days after stores re-open. This applies to items bought in store or online and is subject to our usual exceptions.

If you've sent an online purchase back to us for a refund, this should be processed in the usual timeframe and you'll receive an email to confirm this has been actioned.

• POPPYOSCARPOPPYOSCAR Forumite
    14.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a NewDay Debenhams credit card and they have emailed me to say that rewards continue to be earned on the card.
    Any reward vouchers that expire can be used up to a month when the Debenham stores re-open after lockdown.