New Post Advanced Search

Barking mad relatives!

242 replies 51.8K views

Replies

• ElinoreElinore Forumite
    259 posts
    ✭✭
    My mother just called, apparently its all tears and drama - but I really couldn't care less.

There seems a total unwillingness to acknowledge that having some one turn up uninvited to live with you - with no warning - is bonkers and just not normal acceptable behaviour.

Though wee lass is now sending me adorable pictures of staypuft, which is a bonus.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elinore wrote: »
    My mother just called, apparently its all tears and drama - but I really couldn't care less.

There seems a total unwillingness to acknowledge that having some one turn up uninvited to live with you - with no warning - is bonkers and just not normal acceptable behaviour.

Though wee lass is now sending me adorable pictures of staypuft, which is a bonus.

Maybe you're a changeling, left on the doorstep when you were a baby and that's why you're so different to the rest of your family...:)

My OH often says that about me because I'm so different to the rest of my family in so many ways.
  • borkidborkid Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭

Personally they should be really grateful you let her stay the night ,drove her to the station and paid for her ticket. What would she have done if you had been away for the night? Totally irresponsible of them not to ask and give you plenty of warning.

The only people who I would let stay for an indefinite time would be my own 2 children.
  • PaparikaPaparika Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could be worse, anyone remember the thread about the family who was buying a house, rocked up with their caravan for weeks
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    ouraggie wrote: »
    When we got back to his house he told his wife. She said "Still, good thing about you being a tighta*se, he (indicating my brother) will be quids in when you carp it". I didn't mention that I will be leaving most of my fortune to charities!

I would happily pointed this out.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ouraggie wrote: »
    She said "Still, good thing about you being a tighta*se, he (indicating my brother) will be quids in when you carp it". I didn't mention that I will be leaving most of my fortune to charities!

Make sure your will is safe with someone responsible otherwise it may not be the first will to disappear when the relatives realise that they would get more if the estate was distributed according to the intestacy rules. :(
  • Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm so glad that my family consists of my Mum and Dad, no grandparents are alive, no brothers or sisters, or aunties and uncles, clean, simple and we all know where we stand with each other.
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 285 AFDs 2020 - 181 AFDs to end of August
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £1809/£1809, 2020 - £1791.09/£1750
    29.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    I'm so glad that my family consists of my Mum and Dad, no grandparents are alive, no brothers or sisters, or aunties and uncles, clean, simple and we all know where we stand with each other.

There's a lot to be said for small families.
    Mine is similar, although I do have cousins who have grown up children but haven't seen or been in touch for many years.
    A couple of Aunts & Uncles that I just exchange cards with.

I really couldn't be doing with the fuss and palaver associated with the OP's family.
  • edited 1 April 2019 at 5:58PM
    ElinoreElinore Forumite
    259 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 1 April 2019 at 5:58PM
    My sense of humour at the situation has taken a nose dive. It appears that wee lass got really chatty with the lodger and exchanged numbers (ostensibly for pictures of staypuft)

Aunt has been messaging over the course of the week, started all nice - thanking her for letting Wee Lass sleep in her bedroom and slowly been ramping it up...... slowly but surely. Started hinting about Wee lass being homeless, then homeless and destitute you get the idea. Ended up getting rather nasty in a passive-aggressive way accusing her of being selfish, and so on.

This came out of the blue after I got an emotional wattsapp from the Lodger handing in her notice. That's all smoothed out now, though she still really does feel bad and really awkward.

Grrrrrr - I thought this was all water under the bridge but apparently not.
    29.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My sense of humour at the situation has taken a nose dive. It appears that wee lass got really chatty with the lodger and exchanged numbers (ostensibly for pictures of staypuft)

Aunt has been messaging over the course of the week, started all nice - thanking her for letting Wee Lass sleep in her bedroom and slowly been ramping it up...... slowly but surely. Started hinting about Wee lass being homeless, then homeless and destitute you get the idea. Ended up getting rather nasty in a passive-aggressive way accusing her of being selfish, and so on.

This came out of the blue after I got an emotional wattsapp from the Lodger handing in her notice. That's all smoothed out now, though she still really does feel bad and really awkward.

Grrrrrr - I thought this was all water under the bridge but apparently not.

Why on earth didn't the lodger say something to you when things started to get nasty?
    TBH if I were the lodger, my response to the Aunt would have been ' none of my business, I'm blocking your number'.
    I'm bemused why the lodger was accused of being selfish (unless I've misunderstood).