Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms» Funny Money

Strange Things Motorists Do In Cheap Gas Stations - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Strange Things Motorists Do In Cheap Gas Stations

edited 23 February 2019 at 6:15PM in Funny Money
50 replies 8.2K views

Replies

• elsienelsien Forumite
    23K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I top it up when it gets down to half at the cheap petrol station on my way to work. I do a lot of mileage in a busy job and don't want to be having to fill up on the days I'm running late and rushing round to get places.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • edited 28 March 2019 at 9:10AM
    toomsietoomsie Forumite
    152 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 28 March 2019 at 9:10AM
    Zanderman wrote: »
    And the comment I quote above says you've done 'research' and the time 'lost' isn't worth it? What has time got to do with it? People don't lose salary or wages whilst they fill up with fuel. It's in their own time. Which is, er, unpaid.

Roddydogs is spot on.

Many salary people consider their time as unpaid. But even for a salary person, knowing the cost of one's labour is important.

Many salary people have to make choices of paying for service vs doing it oneself.

Would it be worthwhile a well-paid solicitor doing his own garden for £15? He may get a salaryman but taking on extra work eats into his time and drains his energy.

Even a low paid person can add up those minutes and use the time to sell something on eBay for some extra money and sales education. or use the extra time to repair goods oppose to buying new ones. Or cook a nice meal rather than order takaway.
  • GettingtherequicklyGettingtherequickly Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just seen this post & as someone who regularly uses the petrol station mentioned, has the OP not spotted the fact that it is not a particularly affluent area?

When I go there, I fill up as it is handier than going more frequently and spending less per visit, but this does not mean that all are in a position to do this.
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • toomsietoomsie Forumite
    152 posts
    Just seen this post & as someone who regularly uses the petrol station mentioned, has the OP not spotted the fact that it is not a particularly affluent area?

When I go there, I fill up as it is handier than going more frequently and spending less per visit, but this does not mean that all are in a position to do this.

It's a poor area - but still, a place where the poor still drive nice cars. You won't see caps pullover folk who look like they cannot afford a nice car. Not here in South London.
  • toomsietoomsie Forumite
    152 posts
    I've been to that petrol station again today. One guy who had a convertible BMW put £16 of petrol in his car. First points go to the driver who has put more the £50 pounds of petrol in his car.
  • RobisereRobisere Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I live in a rural Lincolnshire village. Lincolnshire is a county with many small villages spread mostly wide apart. Even going to a main supermarket is a 40+ mile round trip. So I have adjusted my motoring in order to be able to fill up at a station on the way, when there is less than 100 miles left on the dash counter.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • edited 24 May 2019 at 10:23PM
    forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    30.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 May 2019 at 10:23PM
    Fuel is heavy and a drag.

Same as anything on the roof.

Costs more.

You put fuel on the roof? How can something inside the car cause drag?

Yes the extra weight will cost you fuel, but driving an extra 50 feet into a petrol station and another 50 feet back onto the road will eat into any weight saving. If you need to queue then it probably costs more to short fill.

And when you need to rush out at 3am for a 200 mile journey the last thing i want to be worrying about is getting fuel. A roads to the north east coast. which stations are open at 3am?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Kim_kimKim_kim Forumite
    3.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do wonder when someone puts £10 in a big SUV or something, I do think they either have no spare cash or have come out without their wallet. (Everyone keeps an emergency £10 in the car obviously!!)

Or they’re not able to go via a Tesco garage until the next day and just want to get another day till they can fill up in Tesco and get their points - I do this, in a 4x4 :D
  • Petrolprices.com will allow anyone to find the cheapest fuel, around Crystal Palace there appear to be an abundance of stations selling between 130.9p and 132.9p per litre, 2p is hardly a saving worth searching out or travelling an extra couple of miles for.
    Because I live in an area with fewer petrol stations, travelling for the cheapest fuel is counter productive.
    Why do people put a tenner in ? God knows, maybe they're financially stupid.
    Yes, I'll go with stupid.
  • I don't see any petrol station as being cheap.

The more weight you carry as well.