New Post Advanced Search

Money Claim Online Court Letters

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in MoneySaving Dads
9 replies 4K views
Paul1211Paul1211 Forumite
20 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in MoneySaving Dads
Looking for some advice please, I am looking to take my ex to court over a lot of money she owes me, and is refusing to pay.

The only thing holding me back is I’m currently living with parents and want this to remain confidential.

Has anyone had any experience of making a money claim online?....if so, have you received court letters through the post, and if so, do they have any reference to it being from court in form of a logo or text?

Many thanks

Replies

• Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    12.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eventually you will get a letter from the court; why would living with your parents be an issue though?
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    41.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like he's trying to hide this situation from his parents.

OP, the only way to find out is to phone the court and ask them whether their envelopes broadcast who they're from, or not. but really, life would be simpler if you came clean.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • AngelicKatyAngelicKaty Forumite
    84 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi Paul1211, documentation that comes from the small claims court (or, indeed any civil court) is "branded" HMCTS and with their logo on it. If your ex files a defence to your claim, the court will send you a paper copy of it on this headed paper. I can't actually remember if the envelopes are similarly "branded", but I have a vague recollection they are not, but agree with Savvy_Sue that if it's crucial your parents don't become aware of your action, you phone HMCTS and ask them (tel: 0300 123 7050).
  • CisserCisser Forumite
    11 posts
    Why would living with your parents be an issue though?
  • Paul1211Paul1211 Forumite
    20 posts
    Hi all.

Unfortunately I haven't got round to starting the claims process yet due to other commitments. I am looking to start this off now, however I am aware I must attempt to solve this with her before I send her a letter before claim.

I was planning on doing this a while back so I sent her a text message and email trying to solve the issue, however I have had no reply from either at all. I stated that if I don't hear back within two weeks (as of January) I shall go straight to court, however this was some time ago now! I haven't had any contact since then, so should I send her another message with the same text or go straight to sending her the letter before claim?

It will have been a year in September, is there a time limit by which I must file a claim?

Many thanks for any help, Paul.
  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul1211 wrote: »
    Hi all.

Unfortunately I haven't got round to starting the claims process yet due to other commitments. I am looking to start this off now, however I am aware I must attempt to solve this with her before I send her a letter before claim.

I was planning on doing this a while back so I sent her a text message and email trying to solve the issue, however I have had no reply from either at all. I stated that if I don't hear back within two weeks (as of January) I shall go straight to court, however this was some time ago now! I haven't had any contact since then, so should I send her another message with the same text or go straight to sending her the letter before claim?

It will have been a year in September, is there a time limit by which I must file a claim?

Many thanks for any help, Paul.

The time limit is six years in England and Wales, a little less in Scotland.
  • Paul1211Paul1211 Forumite
    20 posts
    Great, many thanks for your help
  • If you know her address, perhaps send a letter to her there via Royal Mail "signed for". At least if she signs for it, you know she's received it.
  • hazyjohazyjo Forumite
    13.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dilbert999 wrote: »
    If you know her address, perhaps send a letter to her there via Royal Mail "signed for". At least if she signs for it, you know she's received it.
    It's generally advised to send by first class post and get proof of delivery (it's suggested two copies are sent) as that's considered 'delivered'. Anything to be signed for can be refused.

Old thread here explains:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5242068
    2020 wins: nada (yet)