Rights on death

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
5 replies 891 views
Shellie19721Shellie19721 Forumite
11 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
Hi,
I’ve been living for a family member for 20 years. What are my rights if they were to pass away without a Will
Thanks

Replies

• elsienelsien Forumite
    26K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is your relationship to them? Are they married? Have you been paying anything towards the house?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Uncle, niece relationship and he’s not married.
    I don’t pay rent as no mortgage but pay half bills and also buy things for the house.
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have no rights unless you happen to be in line to inherit under intestacy rules. So if he has a parent or siblings still alive they will inherit.

He needs to make a will, utter stupidity for him not to under the circumstances.
  • BrynsamBrynsam Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have no rights unless you happen to be in line to inherit under intestacy rules.

Might have a claim under the Inheritance Act when your uncle dies. You are being supported by him because you aren't paying rent (the lack of a mortgage is irrelevant) and could claim that some financial provision should be made for you. No guarantee the claim would succeed, though.

Could you have a chat with him about what will happen? Never an easy conversation, of course, but no good leaving it until he has died.
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brynsam wrote: »

Could you have a chat with him about what will happen? Never an easy conversation, of course, but no good leaving it until he has died.

Be honest with him - ask him if there is a will, say I am don't want you to die but I am concerned about what happens to me.

What other family does he have - parents, siblings, nephews/nieces ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides