Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 10 February 2019 at 9:36AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
1.1K replies 152.1K views

Replies

• GamegalGamegal Forumite
    103 posts
    Treated ourselves yesterday to caramel waffles from LIDL'S, 10 for £1.59, hard to resist.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a heads up, in case anyone else is interested - Lidl (like Aldi) are now accepting Amex cards.

Excellent - more cashback!
  • minimad1970minimad1970 Forumite
    6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lidl's version of bite size Shredded Wheat are much nicer than the branded one.
  • edited 25 March 2019 at 9:34AM
    VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 March 2019 at 9:34AM
    I bought some Viscount biscuits from Aldi yesterday, 50p for a pack of 7. Good product but also highly disappointing that there is so much unnecessary plastic packaging.

If manufacturers don't move with the times, then retailers must.

Eta: Have fed back to Aldi and am confident that they are taking this seriously. Change won't happen overnight, but we'll see it filtering through over the months and years to come.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    23.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I bought some Viscount biscuits from Aldi yesterday, 50p for a pack of 7. Good product but also highly disappointing that there is so much unnecessary plastic packaging.

If manufacturers don't move with the times, then retailers must.

Eta: Have fed back to Aldi and am confident that they are taking this seriously. Change won't happen overnight, but we'll see it filtering through over the months and years to come.

Obviously there's the environmental reasoning for cutting back on packaging but it'll also be more difficult for retailers to con consumers that they're getting more for their money than they are. That's probably one reason why they're trying to stick with bulky packaging.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maman wrote: »
    Obviously there's the environmental reasoning for cutting back on packaging but it'll also be more difficult for retailers to con consumers that they're getting more for their money than they are. That's probably one reason why they're trying to stick with bulky packaging.
    Yet the retailers could accommodate more with slimmer packaging, so they have a vested interest in stocking small and stackable items with high margins.

Out of the 2 responses I had, Aldi's was the more sincere by a country mile.

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aldi 6x Crumpets - now on offer at 18p. Deliciously economical. :)

Also quite a lot of red stickered half price fruit and veg today.
    Ex Board Guide
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    23.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Aldi 6x Crumpets - now on offer at 18p. Deliciously economical. :)

Also quite a lot of red stickered half price fruit and veg today.

I love the way Aldi don't mess about. 50% off is a good deal.

I looked at YS in Asda this week and my little Co-op. YS items sooo not worth bothering.:(
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shall I delight you with the knowledge that my local Asda has 4 packs of fresh cream custard slices, jam and cream donuts (albeit small) and 2 packs of chocolate eclairs (also skinny) languishing in the chiller cabinet for all of 20p this week?

I'll be buying the Aldi crumpets, you're hard-pressed to find them YS at that price anywhere.

• PLRFDPLRFD Forumite
    893 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hot news people mark 4th April in your diary’s and stock up on wheelbarrow wheels at Aldi,get em while you can.

A72-D4992-FC6-D-49-A2-8-D91-BAAF74-CD24-DD.jpg