Becoming a private tutor- all questions here

in Boost Your Income
659 replies 456.4K views
1606162636466»

Replies

• What do people do during school holidays or when usual demand is low? Do you also take a break or are there other things that can top up income.? I also used to teach ESOL/TEFL, so could maybe do summer school work. Alternatively is there any demand for adult ad maths from local councils or similar?
  • ElefantEdElefantEd Forumite
    983 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I take a break and play cricket! Tutoring is the ideal job for me really cos it's great having time off in the summer. But I'm fortunate in that I'm not desperate for a larger income.
  • Sima002Sima002 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hello therivierakid,

I'm pretty fluent in English and have an A-Level in it and kept it up since. In fact I'm good at speaking, good at grammar, good at listening. Right now I'm working as a free lancer for Academicea.com. It is the best tutor in Neveda. From last couple of years I'm working with them as a teacher.

Its like best thing to me cause when ever I like to teach I teach and its 21st century so everybody goes online. Thats why I like to do some basic video and post. Tutoring is like side business for me to generate some extra income at end of the day. Thank you.
    983 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Sima002 wrote: »
    Hello therivierakid,

I'm pretty fluent in English and have an A-Level in it and kept it up since. In fact I'm good at speaking, good at grammar, good at listening. Right now I'm working as a free lancer for Academicea.com. It is the best tutor in Neveda. From last couple of years I'm working with them as a teacher.

Its like best thing to me cause when ever I like to teach I teach and its 21st century so everybody goes online. Thats why I like to do some basic video and post. Tutoring is like side business for me to generate some extra income at end of the day. Thank you.

Not sure you is so good at grammer or spellling judjing from this post. Also Geography not strong point as this is english based website and Neveda, or Nevada as some like to spel it is in the US. Butt thanks for the spam advert.
  • MurphybearMurphybear Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    ElefantEd wrote: »
    Not sure you is so good at grammer or spellling judjing from this post. Also Geography not strong point as this is english based website and Neveda, or Nevada as some like to spel it is in the US. Butt thanks for the spam advert.

:rotfl:

I taught basic computing and admin part of AAT at evening classes. I got paid £25 ph, this was 22 years ago
  • I have a great idea - online school.
    You create a website and record video lessons on each topic of mathematics. Your clients are schoolchildren and their parents; all advertising should go to them. On YouTube you record short entries on courses and on each topic.
    983 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Tutoring isn't about teaching topics per se. It's about interacting with the pupils, finding different ways of explaining things for each one, listening to what they are saying and thinking and focussing on improving weaknesses as well as strengths.

There are already various videos online looking at different topics; but these aren't a substitute for personal engagement. If a student doesn't understand something it is highly unlikely that listening to a video will change things.
  • MichaelSchpikelMichaelSchpikel Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the information in the thread so far. It’s been very helpful.

Like a lot of us right now, I’m looking into the possibility of online tutoring as a means of income until things return to (somewhat) normal.

I would like to tutor maths and physics.

My background is in aviation. I am currently working as an airline pilot, previous to which I studied aeronautical engineering for 5 years. I’m confident I can refresh my knowledge in order to have the proficiency to help, from a rudimentary level initially, however, I am new to teaching/tutoring.

My questions are:

• Is there a demand for private tutoring in maths and physics in the UK, given the majority of exams have been cancelled this year? Presumably there are students who wish to continue their education in preparation for the next academic year.
    • If not, are people having much success finding students from abroad?
    • How would one best prepare?
    • Do you have any recommendations regarding hardware which could help (i.e. virtual writing tools)  

I appreciate any input!

Thanks a lot,

Michael 
    983 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Is there demand?
    Data: up until a few weeks ago I tutored 16 hours a week after school with a regular set of pupils, with a waiting list of 8 or 9 people who were happy to take up any spaces arising from cancellations. I now have 1 person (doing this remotely via whatsapp), with a couple more who will probably rejoin when the travel restrictions are lifted.
    Strangely, if there are no exams to focus young minds, their enthusiasm for maths fades dramatically!
    Or more pragmatically, they will be assessed on coursework, prelims/mocks etc so any that are still doing any work will concentrate on science reports/assignments , for which tutoring isn't particularly relevant. My older pupils (those doing Advanced Highers (Scotland)) have mostly already got unconditional university offers and so don't really need the qualification anyway.
    There are some students who will be returning to school next year for the next level, but until they know what subjects they will be doing it's all rather up in the air.
    It's possible that the SQA will announce a more detailed assessment regime that will involve further testing later this school year - if the schools open again, that is - in which case demand could well skyrocket. But at the moment, all is quiet for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide