Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms» Funny Money

Strange Things Motorists Do In Cheap Gas Stations - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Strange Things Motorists Do In Cheap Gas Stations

edited 23 February 2019 at 6:15PM in Funny Money
50 replies 8.2K views

Replies

• roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    All those replies to an obvious WUM.? Including me.
  • Mr.GenerousMr.Generous Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    All those replies to an obvious WUM.? Including me.

OK then I'll bite - What's a WUM?
  • roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK then I'll bite - What's a WUM?

Wind up merchant
  • NBLondonNBLondon Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    toomsie wrote: »
    The first car I bought in London was a Landrover from AutoTrader. I typed station wagon into the search and a whole lot of cars turned up.
    That's because Station Wagon is a specific model name used by Land Rover for many years to mean one that has seats in the back. The generic term for what you have is an "estate car" in English, (a "Kombi" in German and a "break" in French). Although "shooting brake" is coming back into fashion for some.
    I always thought Autotrader was American based? At least by the name - Autotrader.
    Founded in that all-American city Manchester. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Trader_Group
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • toomsietoomsie Forumite
    152 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I always thought Autotrader was American based? At least by the name - Autotrader.

So it would naturally have search protocols that covered American phrases.

Nice to see you using the British word "cars" though :)

Station wagon was part of the name of the car. I would have had more results by using estate. I would not end up with a landrover with a clunky stick shift.
  • ZandermanZanderman Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    toomsie wrote: »
    I did a little research on this. The time lost filling up gas isn't worth any financial gain( if I remember was around 30p). Even on minimum wage.

This is as nonsensical as your original post.

Your original post suggest you somehow 'know' people only fill up with half a tank. How do you know? Do you go round checking everyone? All day?

You admit, on reflection, that maybe their tanks weren't empty and they're just topping up. But, again, how would you ever know this?

You seem to think filling up half-tank (from empty) is unusual. Unclear why you think this. Indeed I think the advice on this very website is NOT to fill up because a full tank reduces car efficiency. Clue - it's unnecessary extra weight which will increase the cost of your onward travel. Filling up is convenient but it's not strategic money-saving.

And the comment I quote above says you've done 'research' and the time 'lost' isn't worth it? What has time got to do with it? People don't lose salary or wages whilst they fill up with fuel. It's in their own time. Which is, er, unpaid.

Roddydogs is spot on.
  • ZandermanZanderman Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    And, just to add to my comment above, here's the quote (official MSE advice):
    Don't fill it up

Fuel efficiency improvement: Up to 1%

Fuel is heavy, so by filling the car up you're adding quite a weight. The less fuel your car has in it, the more efficiently it drives. If you fill up slightly more often and put less in (to 1/2 or 3/4 full), it'll make the car run more efficiently.

From here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheaper-fuel/#filling

So, not a strange thing at all, a money-saving thing, and this is a money-saving forum.
  • Fuel is heavy and a drag.

Same as anything on the roof.

Costs more.
    152 posts
    Zanderman wrote: »
    You admit, on reflection, that maybe their tanks weren't empty and they're just topping up. But, again, how would you ever know this?

How would you find this information out? Is it human nature to fill a tank of petrol when the tank is half full. Perhaps they are filling up when they passing a cheap petrol station.

Yesterday I had a chat with a lady in the petrol station. I said,'why do customers fill up their tank with only a small amount of petrol'. The lady replied,' They cannot afford it.'. She continued about customers only filling up with £5 and it really annoys her. I said,' Some of the customers have really nice cars. How do you explain that?. She said,' They don't own the cars(meaning the loan company does) they cannot afford to run them'.

I came to the same conclusion because of two of my friends, who do not have nice cars do this. They buy small amounts.
    152 posts
    NBLondon wrote: »
    That's because Station Wagon is a specific model name used by Land Rover for many years to mean one that has seats in the back.

I wish they didn't. That car was a lemon.