edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
11 replies 3K views
venomxvenomx Forumite
857 Posts
Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Got SkyQ and really happy with it.
In the future I may get UHD when more content comes out, however I do not sub to sports or movies so there's no point really.
Is it true you need " SkyQ Experience " which is soon to be £13 per month to get the UHD stuff ?

Replies

• DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    venomx wrote: »
    Got SkyQ and really happy with it.
    In the future I may get UHD when more content comes out, however I do not sub to sports or movies so there's no point really.
    Is it true you need " SkyQ Experience " which is soon to be £13 per month to get the UHD stuff ?

A quick look brings up

https://www.sky.com/shop/tv/sky-q/
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having seen "UHD" stuff via SkyQ box , couldn't see much difference on a 55" 4k TV when compared with standard HD. The improvement was nowhere near as obvious as HD vs SD broadcasts.

I think you would have to sit very near the screen to take advantage of the higher resolution......or have a very large screen................or have the eyesight of a hawk!!:rotfl:
  • venomxvenomx Forumite
    857 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    brewerdave wrote: »
    The improvement was nowhere near as obvious as HD vs SD broadcasts.

No doubt about that. SD to HD was a huge jump. HD to 4K is nowhere near as much of an improvement.

To be fair, the only 4K stuff i've seen are; Blu-rays, netflix, prime and BT Sport UHD. All of which seem to look more bland and dull compared to 1080 ! :beer:
  • Terry98Terry98 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    A few more pros and cons here https://dgit.com/4k-vs-1080p-46720/
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just been told that you need to be sat no more than 40" from a 55" UHD to notice the improvements from HD - WHO in the real world sits that close to a screen??
  • DandytfDandytf Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect uhd from Q requires a decent t.v. And large screen.
    I've run my Sony43' 2015 Android non. HDR 4K t.v. With q/uhd for a year or two.
    I honestly find 1080p HD picture almost as nice quality.
    UHD is sharper in places , though not as big a jump from SD to HD (Standard Def to High Def)
    Though Sky q is the kit to enjoy HD/UHD
    Replenished CRA Reports.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    H.L. Active -Charter Savings .50% 125 u.k. pounds.
  • venomxvenomx Forumite
    857 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yep you are right Dave. In my experience you only notice a difference if you’re sat right in front of the tv
    I have a 55 and a 43 and have tried 4K on both of them. Never have been impressed and think it’s just a fad :T
  • TakmonTakmon Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    You do need a decent 4K TV to be able to really get the benefit of 4K. If you have a recent OLED or QLED TV and watch a decent 4K HDR source you should notice an improvement over Full HD.

Netlfix and other streaming services are good but they will never be as good as a true 4K blu-ray due to the limited bit rate.
    To watch a blu-ray in 4K you also need a blu-ray player capable of supporting this and most of them don't.
  • venomxvenomx Forumite
    857 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The xbox one (s) can do 4K mkv’s
    Not sure about disks though:money:
  • TakmonTakmon Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    venomx wrote: »
    The xbox one (s) can do 4K mkv’s
    Not sure about disks though:money:

Yes the Xbox One S can but if you read reviews they are quite critical and say it's not very good compared to a 4K blu-ray player. But much better than a PS4 Pro which can't output them in 4K at all.

4K blu-rays are 60Gb+ of data for one film so if you get a MKV of a similar size you should get a similar quality as long as it's been encoded properly and the device playing it is capable.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals