Forum Home» Benefits & Tax Credits

Can my employer withhold or refuse to pay me ssp

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Can my employer withhold or refuse to pay me ssp

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
6 replies 698 views
James_hooverJames_hoover Forumite
4 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
Hello everyone so here is the situation I’m in right now. I currently work for a well known retail company in Manchester I won’t name drop for confidentiality reasons. But I have been signed off work by my doctor for the last three weeks due to mental health issues. However my employer has stated to me that they are withholding my ssp payment because they believe my illness is not genuine even though I have doctors note and have been supplying them for the past three weeks . However they have no evidence that’s suggests it isn’t genuine there is nothing I have done that suggests it isn’t genuine . I wish I wasn’t ill so this makes it much worse for me. I’m asking for advice because what sort of evidence would they need legally to withhold ssp if my illness wasn’t genuine because they really don’t have any to back up their claim. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Replies

• Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    12.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are eligible for SSP, they cannot withhold it without very good reason - obviously you not being ill would be one of them.

They can however withhold any contractual pay.

Have you asked them why they believe this? (how long have you worked there?)
  • hucksterhuckster Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you search online, there is a form you can request the employers complete, if they are refusing SSP.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • hucksterhuckster Forumite
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they are refusing to pay SSP they must provide you with form SSP1 to indicate why. You will then be able to put a claim in for 'New Style ESA' on UC depending on your NI contributions and other factors.
  • sportsarbsportsarb Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    If you’re unhappy with a decision
    Talk to your employer if you think:

their decision not to pay you SSP is wrong
    you’re not getting the right amount of SSP
    You can ask them for a reason. If this does not sort the problem, contact the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) statutory payment dispute team.

HMRC statutory payment dispute team
    Telephone: 03000 560 630
    Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 5pm
    Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm
    Find out about call charges

Try ringing the number above, although I have no faith in them to actually do so, the ESA fresh claim processor should be asking why no SSP is being paid if you go ahead and make a claim. So doing this before hand will hopefully speed things up.
  • calcotticalcotti Forumite
    7.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to add to what sportsarb has posted, I have recently come across an instance where the HMRC intervened with the employer who did then pay SSP.

OP, do you have any other household income and/or savings? You may be entitled to Universal Credit anyway. For a single person aged over 25 with no other income UC will pay £66/month in addition to SSP, or 317/month if no SSP.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.