Bed and ISA dilemma..

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
3 replies 498 views
C_MababejiveC_Mababejive Forumite
11.5K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
I have a chunk of RDSB that id like to bed and ISA. My dilemma that im unsure as to whether to bed and ISA the RDSB or flog them and buy a more diversified product. They pay good divis but maybe a diversified product would provide that divi via growth or a combination of income and growth. I quite like ITs and currently also hold SMT and CTY...any thoughts appreciated..
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..

Replies

• masonicmasonic Forumite
    16.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't hold a single company unless I was prepared to hold a portfolio of 20+
  • LintonLinton Forumite
    14.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want dividends, just holding shares in a single company is a seriously bad idea. You need a range of shares in case any one company stops paying them. Perhaps 20 different shares should be sufficient. Arguably its not worth holding less than £2K-£3K as a minimum in any one company so you would need a portfolio of say £50K+.

Otherwise just hold dividend paying funds.

Why do you want dividends? Do you need the income?
  • C_MababejiveC_Mababejive Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linton wrote: »
    If you want dividends, just holding shares in a single company is a seriously bad idea. You need a range of shares in case any one company stops paying them. Perhaps 20 different shares should be sufficient. Arguably its not worth holding less than £2K-£3K as a minimum in any one company so you would need a portfolio of say £50K+.

Otherwise just hold dividend paying funds.

Why do you want dividends? Do you need the income?

I guess my primary concern at the moment is to reduce taxation. I dont need the income right now and maybe i will never really NEED it. Maybe its just the allure of seeing big lumps of cash appearing four times a year but i agree its a bit of an illusion. So my current priorities are, reduce taxation, generate growth with as low risk/volatility as possible. I guess it all boils down to what to invest in again. I dont want to do cash as thats a real loser long term.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals