Bed and ISA dilemma..

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
3 replies 498 views
C_MababejiveC_Mababejive Forumite
11.5K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
I have a chunk of RDSB that id like to bed and ISA. My dilemma that im unsure as to whether to bed and ISA the RDSB or flog them and buy a more diversified product. They pay good divis but maybe a diversified product would provide that divi via growth or a combination of income and growth. I quite like ITs and currently also hold SMT and CTY...any thoughts appreciated..
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..

Replies

• masonicmasonic Forumite
    16.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't hold a single company unless I was prepared to hold a portfolio of 20+
  • LintonLinton Forumite
    14.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want dividends, just holding shares in a single company is a seriously bad idea. You need a range of shares in case any one company stops paying them. Perhaps 20 different shares should be sufficient. Arguably its not worth holding less than £2K-£3K as a minimum in any one company so you would need a portfolio of say £50K+.

Otherwise just hold dividend paying funds.

Why do you want dividends? Do you need the income?
  • C_MababejiveC_Mababejive Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linton wrote: »
    If you want dividends, just holding shares in a single company is a seriously bad idea. You need a range of shares in case any one company stops paying them. Perhaps 20 different shares should be sufficient. Arguably its not worth holding less than £2K-£3K as a minimum in any one company so you would need a portfolio of say £50K+.

Otherwise just hold dividend paying funds.

Why do you want dividends? Do you need the income?

I guess my primary concern at the moment is to reduce taxation. I dont need the income right now and maybe i will never really NEED it. Maybe its just the allure of seeing big lumps of cash appearing four times a year but i agree its a bit of an illusion. So my current priorities are, reduce taxation, generate growth with as low risk/volatility as possible. I guess it all boils down to what to invest in again. I dont want to do cash as thats a real loser long term.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides