22 replies 2.6K views

Replies

• arnie&caseysma!arnie&caseysma! Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    The database the Police use can be found at

http://www.askmid.com/

The site itself is just a frontend, it interrogates the MIB database just as the Police do from their vehicles.

If your vehicle shows as being uninsured and you know that it isn't, time to shout lots at your insurance company :j

Never heard of this site before. Most of, and if not all vehicle checks are done through PNC and most (but not all which is why some folk get stopped for insurance checks) insurance companies submit the details to PNC. In car computers - more commonly ANPR are linked to PNC and details obtained automatically from that.

Still a useful site to know about though.
    "Life may not always be the party you wish for, but whilst here you may aswell dance"!!!
    Murphy's NMPC Memb No 239!
    Dippychick's De-clutter club Member No 6! - onto room no 2!
    My Avatar? Arnie and Casey, proud parents to Storm and Tsu born 19/01/2009!!! - both now in new homes and called Murron and Burger!
  • Never heard of this site before. Most of, and if not all vehicle checks are done through PNC and most (but not all which is why some folk get stopped for insurance checks) insurance companies submit the details to PNC. In car computers - more commonly ANPR are linked to PNC and details obtained automatically from that.

Still a useful site to know about though.

The site is merely a front-end (i.e arm-candy, window dressing).

Behind the scenes, the SQL script is querying the same database that the Police do.
    You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky

Any advice that you receive from me is worth exactly what you paid for it. Not a penny more or a penny less.
  • raskazzraskazz Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    As far as I am aware, insurers do not submit any details to PNC as such. They submit data to the MID (Motor Insurance Database), which is run by the Motor Insurers' Information Centre. This is then made available to the police.
  • raskazz wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, insurers do not submit any details to PNC as such. They submit data to the MID (Motor Insurance Database), which is run by the Motor Insurers' Information Centre. This is then made available to the police.
    ^Christ! I just punched my car reg into the above and it comes up as a completely different car! :eek:

Now I really am getting worried:eek: Wish I hadn't bothered punching it in...
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS :cool:

THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:
  • MikeyorksMikeyorks Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Does that mean I have been uninsured for all the time I have been paying this company, and will I now face a fine/ban from the Police?

No, it's called 'a clerical error'. Just get it corrected - and decline to pay any 'new document' charge your Insce Co attempts to levy. But do bear in mind the initial error may have been yours!

It's a bit of a giveaway if you can't tax a vehicle online via DVLA and it alleges no data in the Insurers database. Had that problem with the OH's car .... and eventually traced it to precisely the problem you had. But only after I'd blamed the Insurers for not updating the database!
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No complaints about the Police, but I'm not happy at all with this company. I wonder what would have happened if I had an accident in these circumstances. Would I be covered or would they be able to fob me off?

Why are you placing the blame at with the insurance company? If you bought online, then its your fault. If you bought over the phone then it could be your fault or theirs. if you bought through a traditional broker if could be your fault, the brokers fault or the insurance company.

inadvertent clerical errors rarely cause problems when it can be found out how the fault occurred.
  • shellyshelly Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    People can argue you should have noticed, but to be honest I don't even open the envelopes. I just see them and think "car insurance" and shove them in the right box in case at some future and random date I need it.

We always go over documents carefully. What if they had your car down as a totally different car to the one you have and wouldn't pay out in the event of a claim? It only takes a few minutes and saves all sorts of hassle as the OP has found out.
  • may be u got a stolen vehicle that has been disguised!!!
  • luxor4tluxor4t Forumite
    11.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG...
    We were stopped roadside back in September, and told that we were not on their database as insured but as soon as we told the policeman the name of our insurer he nodded and off we went.

Assumed then that it was a glitch. Guess what we're doing tomorrow!!!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • I think i would go with the document you have and the cops probably wont even notice that the reg is wrong, If they do, they will probably say there is a typo on the cover note and that that you need to contact your insurance company, whereas if you try to sort it now you wont be able to do the producer which means more trouble
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals