edited 3 December 2018 at 5:55PM in Disability Money Matters
13 replies 2.8K views
dazza-macdazza-mac Forumite
328 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 3 December 2018 at 5:55PM in Disability Money Matters
Hi,

I've received the esa50 to fill in - by 25th Dec, which means I won't really have 4 weeks as I'll have to post it early! I asked for an extension as my father is very ill in hospital but they were having none of it. I was really choked on the phone but they said to write down why it may be late!! I said I couldn't take the risk in case they would not allow it! What a daft system. It's just unbelievable.

Anyway, when I filled form in a few year back I was turned down for the support group for the reasons I gave, which were I was unable to consistently walk 50 metres without being in discomfort and that I had mobility supplement (war Pension). But they did allow it under the regs: 35(2)(b). I had other health problems too.

My question is, should I repeat the submission regarding my foot problems or should I just refer to 35(2)(b) - or both?

Replies

• poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dazza-mac wrote: »
    Hi,

I've received the esa50 to fill in - by 25th Dec, which means I won't really have 4 weeks as I'll have to post it early! I asked for an extension as my father is very ill in hospital but they were having none of it. I was really choked on the phone but they said to write down why it may be late!! I said I couldn't take the risk in case they would not allow it! What a daft system. It's just unbelievable.

Anyway, when I filled form in a few year back I was turned down for the support group for the reasons I gave, which were I was unable to consistently walk 50 metres without being in discomfort and that I had mobility supplement (war Pension). But they did allow it under the regs: 35(2)(b). I had other health problems too.

My question is, should I repeat the submission regarding my foot problems or should I just refer to 35(2)(b) - or both?
    There's no extended time to return the ESA50 form. If it's not returned by the date stated then you could be found fit for work for failing to return the form. The rules are not as strict for those with mental health, providing DWP have it noted on the system that this is the case and it seems like they don't for you.

If the reasons why it was reg 35 still apply then i'd stay with those and base your evidence on that. Good luck.
  • dazza-macdazza-mac Forumite
    328 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. I do think it's harsh when you can't get an extension for what I thought would've been justifiable reasons.

My dad is now home and receiving palliative care. The stress, worry and upset re my dad and the stress of filling in the form and getting whatever evidence I can is unbelievable. I can't sleep with all the worry, and everytime I try and tackle the form it so hard to get my thoughts in order.
  • Alice_HoltAlice_Holt Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • edited 21 January 2019 at 3:26PM
    dazza-macdazza-mac Forumite
    328 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 21 January 2019 at 3:26PM
    Hello again,

I filled my esa form in and sent it back in time. I now have to attend a face to face assessment next month.

Bearing in mind that my health has worsened and that it stated back in 2012 that I would not be able to work in the 'long term' - and I was placed in the support group then, why would they send for me?

I'm getting quite worried and stressed about this and wonder if any of you could offer some advice. I filled the form in very thoroughly and added to it.
    13.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello again,

I filled my esa form in and sent it back in time. I now have to attend a face to face assement next month.

Bearing in mind that my health has worsened and that it stated back in 2012 that I would not be able to work in the 'long term' - and I was placed in the support group then, why would they send for me?

I'm getting quite worried and stressed about this and wonder if any of you could offer some advice. I filled the form in very thoroughly and added to it.
    Most people have to attend a face to face assessment. As stated "long term" in 2012 it's now 2019, which is 7 years. If you haven't been assessed since 2012 then you're very lucky.

Unfortunately, you will need to attend the assessment, otherwise they'll find you fit for work for failing to attend.

Is there anyone that can go with you for support on the day? You'll have to answer all the questions yourself but having someone there with you can often help.

During the assessment you'll be asked questions about your condition and how you're affected. They'll asses your ability to do any type of work. You'll be watched from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave. Try to answer those questions with as much information as possible and avoid the yes or no answers. Good luck.
    328 Posts
    ✭✭
    I'm getting more worried by the minute! It's so hard to give full and concise answers as I have various problems which affects the other problems - so the tendency is to either give short yes or no answers or to try and answer with as much info as possible, but that ends up with me confused and/or waffling.

It took ages to fill in the form which I gave as much information as possible. Will they not have read it or have a copy of it at the assessment? I literally had to fill the form in a bit each day in order to give a detailed account.

I don't have anyone who can go with me. I'm worried sick as my dad is getting palliative care at home and I constantly have the worry of 'is he ok' when I'm not there.

I will have to get a taxi too as I'm not sure how to get to the place - that 's going to cost a fortune.

I realise that yes, I was very fortunate not to have been seen since 2012/13, yet the same gut wrenching sick feeling happened again as soon as the form arrived. I had to take my case to appeal in 2013 and I made such a fool of myself at the appeal - getting upset. I'm dreading it.
    328 Posts
    ✭✭
    I've just thought, is the form read by the health care professional at the assessment, ot is it only read by the DWP who then decide if a person needs to go for an assessment?
    13.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just thought, is the form read by the health care professional at the assessment, ot is it only read by the DWP who then decide if a person needs to go for an assessment?
    The health assessment providers decide who needs a face to face assessment. It's nothing to do with DWP.
    328 Posts
    ✭✭
    I thought it was the DWP who decide who needs to go for an assessment.

Does this mean that the HCP that I see will have a copy of my esa form? Will they have read it thoroughly. The stress is killing me. I had a massive row with my 'brother' last night in relation to dads care. I had to leave as I was so upset and shaking. I can't sleep, and absolutely bricking it re my assessment as I can't get my thoughts in order.
    13.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was the DWP who decide who needs to go for an assessment.

Does this mean that the HCP that I see will have a copy of my esa form? Will they have read it thoroughly. The stress is killing me. I had a massive row with my 'brother' last night in relation to dads care. I had to leave as I was so upset and shaking. I can't sleep, and absolutely bricking it re my assessment as I can't get my thoughts in order.
    As previously advised, it's not the DWP who decide, it's the health assessment providers. I'm not sure why you thought it's the DWP. The form and any evidence you sent is sent to them. From there they decide if a face to face is needed or not. Most have them, it's rare to have a paper based decision.

It's perfectly normal to feel the way you're feeling. I had my re-assessment in October and felt exactly the same way. Even once the assessment is over, you'll feel exactly the same, i did. The worst part is the wait. Once my assessment was over, my first thought was it wasn't as bad as i was expecting.

As you've had a work capability assessment assessment before then you'll know what to expect. Nothing has changed over the years. They'll assess you on the work you can do not the work you can't do. Just answer those questions with as much information as possible and avoid answering with just a yes or no. Do be aware that you'll be watched from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave.

Once the assessment report has been returned to DWP you'll be able to request a copy be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals