Mortgage shortfall

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
1 reply 601 views
Np123Np123 Forumite
5 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
Hi everyone I wonder if anyone can help me please bit of a long story. I split up from my ex husband back in 2012 due to a really bad relationship where he was an alcoholic and kept loads of financial difficulties secret from me. We also had 2 children aged 10 and 13 at the time, the youngest with severe learning disabilities and autism. I left the house which was in joint names although I did not earn much money at the time and when the mortgage was set up I was just a housewife. I then lived in rented accommodation and unfortunately my ex husband defaulted on the mortgage and the house got repossessed in 2012. My ex husband was a mortgage advisor and took out an interest only mortgage of 220k I think back around 2009. I signed the forms trusting him being a mortgage advisor (daft I know) but did not get any advise or see any of the paperwork apart from what I signed( I didn’t take much notice to be honest as I was too busy with my child at the time) my ex husband claimed he was paid 70k per year although I never had a joint account with him and trusted him at the time . We never saw anyone else for the mortgage it was just him that did paperwork. The house got sold for 150k so nram are now coming after me for the 70k shortfall. I have been paying a pound a month for the last 2 years, don’t earn much money have no assets etc. I have asked them to write off the balance or take 632 as full and final as I will never be in a position to pay this amount and it would take 632 months to pay off . This is the amount to go bankrupt which I don’t really want to do. My mum and dad would do this for me. I have sent them doctors notes regarding my son and my state of mind with all the worry of everything. I have complained to them and asked for details of the mortgage as when I left my ex had all the paperwork . Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Replies

This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals